Domenica again

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Jesse

Domenica again

Post by Jesse »

Went last Friday night and sat at the Bar. Started off by ordering a cheese/salumi plate and glass of Edami Proseco. The sparkling was quite good, and so was the cheese and salami.

First thing I noticed after I ordered were a bunch of plain bottles, some with fruit, of booze with hand written labels. I asked the barkeep about them, and he told me the chef was doing his own limoncellos and he poured me a buch of half shots. I actually like limoncello quite a bit as an after dinner drink and the plain lemon one was fantastic. The spiced ones were good, too, but a little much for my tastes.

After finishing the cheese/salumi plate (which, with all it's accoutrements, is way more food than you think) I ordered a small fried squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese. I heard these things raved about on the forums quite a lot, and they surpassed the hype. Fantastic. Paired these with a Argentinian Red that I don't remember the name of. Not the best pairing, I know, but the wine was really good.

I wasn't all that hungry when I got to the restaurant, and by now I was damn near full. But after drinking another glass of wine, I decided I wanted a little bit more. Taking the suggestion of the bartender, I ordered a small order of meatballs. It came with three small to medium sized meatballs (which for $6 was a good amount) served on soft polenta. The bartender raved about the polenta, in fact using the term "sublime." The meatballs were good, though nothing special, and the polenta was no better than your average grits. The nebbiolo that I ordered with it was good.

I really wanted a pizza, but by the end of the night I just couldn't eat more than a slice or two and my billeting arrangement for the weekend left no opportunity to store anything. On my last visits, the pizza was clearly the highlight. This time, the squash blossoms. Chef Alon came out to the bar quite often, spending a lot of time with a couple who were either his friends or VIPs of some sort, and ignored everyone else. Didn't bother me, but the douchebag next to me seemed to be insulted by his failure to acknowledge his presence. I'll definitely be back soon.
buzd

Re: Domenica again

Post by buzd »

I like the place, but we went on a Friday night and it was LOUD. That doesn't usually bother me, but this was off the charts. It needs something to take the edge off all that sound when they are full.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Squash blossoms were the main ingredient in the single best dish I have tasted in my entire life. Wonder why we don't see them more.

About 30 years ago, I was dating this young lady from Mexico City and when it was my turn to fly down there, she would make these extremely delicate little squash blossom tacos that I still crave today. They were maybe 3 bites big, very light, snow white tortillas from the corner bakery, a mild white cheese, and sauteed squash blossoms.

That dish still makes me wonder sometimes, if maybe I didn't screw up letting her get away.

How are the seafood dishes at Domenica?
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

I agree buzd. It is crazy loud in there. The curtains/partitions that I've never seen used are metal chain-link, shark suit looking stuff. I wonder if they'd swap that out for a thick fabric if it would help with the noise.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Ratcheese, the first time I went I had the fritto mixto and enjoyed it for the most part. They burnt the soft shell crab, though. Thats the only seafood I've had there.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Jesse wrote:Ratcheese, the first time I went I had the fritto mixto and enjoyed it for the most part. They burnt the soft shell crab, though. Thats the only seafood I've had there.
Thanks Jesse, we eat seafood almost exclusively and I had heard that Dominica was heavy on meats. Hence, we haven't been, yet.

I also didn't realize it was one those loud places. If I want good seafood, Rio Mar is on the top of my list for LOUD places.
buzd

Post by buzd »

ratcheese wrote:
I also didn't realize it was one those loud places. If I want good seafood, Rio Mar is on the top of my list for LOUD places.
It's WAY louder than Rio Mar. I find Rio Mar tolerable.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

buzd wrote:It's WAY louder than Rio Mar. I find Rio Mar tolerable.
OMG I can't believe that. Rio Mar can be at the threshold of tolerable for me. Last time we were there, the kds were all changing places, around a six top, so they could talk to someone else.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Weekend lunches haven't been too noisy (and my better half is hearing impaired, so we care quite a bit about noise levels).