Mona's Cafe in Harahan!!!

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
EatinAintCheatin

Mona's Cafe in Harahan!!!

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I saw a sign on Citrus saying that Mona's Cafe Express (I don't know if this means take out only) is now open. IIRC, the address is 924 Hickory, which would put it across from Harahan Playground.

Anyone know anything about this?
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
LauraMc

Re: Mona's Cafe in Harahan!!!

Post by LauraMc »

I saw that on Saturday when I was passing through Harahan. I was going to ask if anyone knew if it was really "Mona's". That site was a gas station when I lived out there. I assume it is strictly to go by the size but I guess they could put a few tables in there.
ae=ig

Post by ae=ig »

In Slidell, there is a Mona's Cafe Express in the old Danny and Clyde's location. Saw it yesterday when visiting friends.
Jaco

Post by Jaco »

live near here and love Mona's, so yes this is a Mona's venture and the food is just as good as the resturants. They now have tables but it is more of a to go kind of place. Menu is limited but what they do have is great. My wife has eaten there probaly 6-8 times already and they just opened. The Kibby is her favorite and I love the combo plate with a side of tabooli. Yum and anyone in the Harahan area should support this place.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

984 Hickory. Good kibbeh.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
globe9

Post by globe9 »

The GF and I stopped by here to pick up dinner on the way home Sunday. We both got the gyro platter, some baba ganeush<sp?>, and baklava for dessert. Everything was pretty much the same as it is at an actual Mona's restaurant.

The gyro platter was good although the portion of gyro meat was a little on the small side...I'm used to having leftovers at any Greek/Lebaneese restaurant, but we were both able to finish the platters. It also came with a small salad, tatziki sauce, rice, and pita bread. The baba ganeush<sp?> was very good. The baklava was good, but it was dry. It didn't seem to have any honey making it moist, which is how I've always had baklava.

Other things: The place still is a gas station/convenience store. The rest of the place is kinda dirty looking, but the counter area in the corner where the food setup is seemed clean. They have the gyro on skewers, but as for some of the other things, I'm guessing it was prepared at a Mona's restaurant and transported to this location...I could be wrong about this, but the cooking area is miniscule.

The hours of operation are a little disappointing: Mon-Sat they close at 8:30pm-- this is very early to me, was hoping for 9:30-10:00pm and on Sundays they close at 5:30pm--definitely VERY early.

It says on menu that they will be offering delivery soon. This is good, would definitely use the delivery service, but hopefully they extend the hours.

Overall, I'm glad it's there, but I'm thinking the Byblos opening on Citrus may get most of my business when it opens. Mainly b/c Mona's hours are not very convenient for me...I don't usually get home from work until around 8:15pm.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Picked up a quick bite for dinner last night. We had a gyro sandwich, eggplant sandwich and an order of baba ganouj dip with pita.

Both sandwiches were very good. I liked my gyro better, my wife liked her eggplant.

The good: plenty of meat/eggplant, fresh ingredients, very nicely made so that you could eat it without wearing it.

The less then good (and I don't mean bad) - If my gyro has just a little more tzatziki on it it would have been perfect. I'm sure that next time I can request it or ask for a little on the side. They give a very generous amount of pita with the ganouj.

The Baba Ganouj was ice box cold. Next time I'll let it come to room temp first. It was still very good.

Recommended for take out. Of the two guys working, one is the brother of the owner of Mona's on Banks.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx