Another New Lunch spot in River Ridge/Harahan

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
EatinAintCheatin

Another New Lunch spot in River Ridge/Harahan

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Coming soon! Phil's Grill (yep, same people that's on Severn). Ya heard it here first....

Located next door to Snap Fitness on the corner of Hickory and Citrus. Looks like they are just starting to get the leased space going...so it's probably gonna be a little while.

I'm not sure their burgers will be able to beat the ones at Cafe What? down the road. But I'm glad there's another option out here.

Cheers!
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
RouxTheDay

Re: Another New Lunch spot in River Ridge/Harahan

Post by RouxTheDay »

A guy in my office has been raving about the sandwiches at River Cafe. It's on Evans between Jeff Hwy and River Road. It's not new but despite my 18 years in the Elmwood area, I never made it there. It's in an office park and is not fancy at all. It seemed that everyone in there knew the staff and each other.

After 4 days of salad, I decided to treat myself yesterday and picked up one of the 2 sandwiches he told me about. I got the Cuban. ...WOW.

I won't comment as to whether or not it was a great Cuban sandwich because I've only had 1or2 before now and only one was close to authentic...and that was in Key West. What I will say is that it was a GREAT sandwich. They prepare all of the meats in house and the bread was a flat onion bread. It was hot and juicy and messy like a po-boy. It was $8.99 and I could only eat 1/2.

The other recommendation was the Reuben....I'll try that next time.

I'd love for a Cuban sandwich aficionado to go try it at River Cafe and let me know what you think.
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I love a good Cuban sammy. Next time I'm in Harahan/River Ridge area I'll try and remember to try it. Thanks.

Jonathan
RouxTheDay wrote:I'd love for a Cuban sandwich aficionado to go try it at River Cafe and let me know what you think.
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

River Cafe used to be Orange Tree (years ago). We used to go there a LOT. I've had River Cafe quite a few times. They fax their daily specials to our office. For a while, I would go there pretty regularly. The lunch specials were really good.
TheSpecialMan

Post by TheSpecialMan »

Despite the fact that they've raised their prices twice in the past year, it's on my regular lunch rotation. The cuban is pretty solid, although it can be rather greasy. They have the standard lunch specials like red beans on Mondays; meatloaf; spaghetti and meatballs, etc.
I do like the shrimp salad, which is a huge mound of nice boiled shrimp on iceberg with a white remoulade. There's also some sticks of cheddar cheese, slices of hard boiled egg, and boiled potatoes in there for some reason.