Serious eating with a toddler in tow

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
nolagirl

Serious eating with a toddler in tow

Post by nolagirl »

I have some good friends coming in town soon for their first-ever visit to New Orleans. I am very eager to show them a wonderful time and have them experience a lot of our fabulous food. They are bringing their 21-month-old daughter with them. Since I do not have children, I know absolutely nothing about going to restaurants with them. Can anyone suggest some excellent, best-in-New-Orleans places we could hit throughout the course of the weekend -- for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and both casual and nicer places -- where they'd be comfortable with the baby, or where we'd be accommodated with the baby? I'm thinking of arranging a sitter for one night so that we can go about unfettered, but the rest of the time, she'll be with us. Without kids, I'd probably be bringing them to, say, places like Stella!, Commander's, GW Fins, Mr. B's, Cafe Amelie, Cafe Degas, Lola's, maybe taking a ride out to Middendorf's, MeauxBar, Stanley, Surrey's, etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/insight on which places might also work just fine with the little one along for the ride.
sbu22

Re: Serious eating with a toddler in tow

Post by sbu22 »

Sorry, NOLAgirl - speaking as a father and grandfather, I think your thread title is an oxymoron. Not that I don't like crumbcrunchers - just haven't had much luck with the concept.
JRO

Post by JRO »

Agreed SBU22
praline

Post by praline »

Oh Lord, here we go...
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

What happened to the concept of BABY SITTERS?

Now that I re-read your post you mentioned getting one for a night....great but consider it for every night you plan to go to a restaurant where a couple having a romantic dinner might be just a few feet away.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
nikinik

Post by nikinik »

I agree with everything said here. I often get the rath when I express my opinon on this matter and hear things like...

Oh but little Mikey is so well behaved...etc. etc.

Even if toddler is well behaved...they are still a toddler. And when my husband and I are paying $150 for a meal, I don't want to hear a toddler's conversation at the next table.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

To quote the Tommentor, "And how many children do you have?" I am just kidding, of course. They should well know by now how the child will react in a restaurant environment/crowded room/noisy atmosphere and be willing to remove the tyke from the area should he/she get cranky.

Don't let me prevent the "kids in restaurants" crowd from sounding off. I absolutely love it!
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

I'm waiting for someone to put the loud talkers, the drunks, and the cell phone users in their own dining area...

(While we are at, the fashion challenged, the elderly, the unattractive)

nola girl,
Hope you and your guests have a great time! (You did get some good suggestions on TF's forum). The earlier you go, the easier it will be from my own experience.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
BTG

Post by BTG »

Edited to delete.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

I'm also of the "get a sitter or stay home " mindset. Whenever someone enters a fine dining room w/an infant or toddler my stomach tightens. Budgeting for a sitter should be part of taking a trip.