Time to Buy a New Car---HELP!!!!!!!

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
Schuarta

Re: Time to Buy a New Car---HELP!!!!!!!

Post by Schuarta »

Jeeves wrote:I didn't! I just paid cash for a Honda Insight. BTW, we got over 51 MPG on our day ride today. http://www.ladayrides.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=766

Re grave stone "GEORGE BUSH", sorry I didn't know! :(
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Don't know if you've already gone but, I'd take a relative or friend etc who has experience in that area (buying a new car) they could be of great help to you.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Jeeves wrote:I didn't! I just paid cash for a Honda Insight.
It's probably in the mail...

Mine didn't take long.
globe9

Post by globe9 »

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the great replies and advice. I bought my new car this past Saturday and it was pretty painless. I actually did my negotiating via email with the Internet Sales Manager. We settled on a price($3000 below Dealer Invoice). Used the TMV on Edmunds as well and according to everything, I made a great deal.
Went in on Saturday with independent financing in hand(Capital One sends a blank check for their auto financing, so it was like paying cash). Got the deal ready to go and the salesguy asked me that if they could get me a better rate than the Capital One rate I got on my own, would I please use their financing b/c they get a kick back from the bank. I agreed and they did get me a better rate, by 1 percentage point. Should have told him to throw something else in my deal though for the hassle b/c by paying cash I would have been out of there in about an hour, instead I was in there for about 3 hours b/c there is only 1 finance manager and about 8 people buying cars so I had to wait and then wait longer while he tryed to beat my financing as well.

Overall though, not a bad experience. They were really busy though. I saw 7 more people buying cars besides me while I was there. A lot of Toyota's being traded in. One guy who came in looking saw this and said he was going over to Toyota b/c they were probably deserted and ready to sell a car for peanuts. LOL
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Too much suspense! What did you buy? :confused:

BTW, Toyota is the biggest break for network and local TV and radio advertising. I'm seeing/hearing about 4 per hour. :D
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Schuarta wrote: BTW, Toyota is the biggest break for network and local TV and radio advertising. I'm seeing/hearing about 4 per hour. :D
I can't see Toyota surviving this...no matter HOW much money they spend on advertising and public relations. I wouldn't touch one of their cars with a 10 foot pole.
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Schuarta wrote:Re grave stone "GEORGE BUSH", sorry I didn't know! :(
You know I could not pass up that photo op.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Backstrap

Post by Backstrap »

NoNoNanette wrote:I can't see Toyota surviving this...no matter HOW much money they spend on advertising and public relations. I wouldn't touch one of their cars with a 10 foot pole.
Then you will miss out on a car produced by the best production system in the world (my area of business - I don't work for them). The problems they have had average less than similar problems with American auto makers; however, because of their near perfection in the past, the problems are accentuated. Surprise! The media has focused on their problems with government motors reaping the benefits. Wonder where they got that idea?

My guess is you probably watch MSNBC as well.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Christ! Where did that come from, Backstrap? (I'm not a Government Motors or MSNBC fan) :rolleyes:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
globe9

Post by globe9 »

Oh, I got a Nissan Rogue. It's a "crossover". It's a nice little car for the $$$.

As for Toyota, I would have totally gotten a Toyota, but they still want too much $$$ for their cars. Was interested in a Highlander, which for a base model with some upgrades was about $25,500. I really wanted a Tacoma, but for the crew cab that wasn't a work truck, they were asking $26k! My GF just got an 4 door F-150 XLT with chrome package(basically loaded with everything but leather) for $24k(13k off MSRP), so there was no way I was gonna pay 2k more for a smaller truck with less options that gets about the same gas mileage. And btw, the F-150 is way too big for me and gets crappy gas mileage, otherwise I would have also gone that route.

Nissan was the same with the Frontier. About $24k the way I wanted it. But, I'm very happy with the Rogue...got it for less than $20K, the gas mileage is pretty good, it has lots of space, and is a pretty sweet looking ride.

I just can't believe they are still selling the "mid-size" trucks(Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, etc) for so much $$$. They are smaller and still get the same crappy gas mileage as the bigger trucks.