Killer Whale...Kills!??!

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
flyinbayou

Killer Whale...Kills!??!

Post by flyinbayou »

This is so rich with irony the sadness of the event is being overlooked. The blurb that caught my eye was there was a "Dine with Shamu" program being held at the time of the incident and the participants were unwilling witnesses to this.

The other item of note was the impromptu press conference shortly after the incident where the sheriff went on record to say the trainer apparently "slipped" into the pool, even though there were several witnesses saying she was "snatched" off of the platform.
I've never seen a law enforcement official trying to cover up for a whale not named Hillary.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmazingAnimal ... id=9932526

I forgot to add, while reading the blogs there are some individuals complaining about the use of the name "killer whale". Apparently they consider that profiling and would prefer the kinder, gentler title of "orca". Hmmm, isn't there an administration that refuses to use the term "terrorist"?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Turbodog

Re: Killer Whale...Kills!??!

Post by Turbodog »

apparently this was a serial killer whale.
Shep

Post by Shep »

It's hard to believe a killer whale would do such a thing.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Shep wrote:It's hard to believe a killer whale would do such a thing.

?

That's what kids are being taught today. Here's another example of today's PC teaching to our kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Nyt4Bmi8

The average 6-year-old today are being taught that polar bears are cuddly and friendly.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Pas Bon

Post by Pas Bon »

Reminds me of lyrics of the best song (in my opinion) of 2009, Neko Case's "People Got a Lotta Nerve".

YOU KNOW THEY CALL THEM "KILLER" WHALES?!
BUT YOU SEEM SURPRISED WHEN IT PINNED YOU DOWN
TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK
WHERE YOU CAN'T TURN AROUND
IT TOOK HALF YOUR LEG AND BOTH YOUR LUNGS
"WHEN I CRAVED I ATE HEARTS OF SHARKS, I KNOW YOU KNOW IT"

I'M A MAN-MAN-MAN, MAN-MAN,MAN-EATER
AND STILL YOU'RE SURPRISED WHEN I EAT YOU
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

Watching a video of the trainer interacting with the whale... trainer is bobbing from side to side...whale mimics.....trainer is spinning around and around...whale mimics....appears it is playing. The trainer also has on a black and white wet suit.....hmmmmmmmmmm looks like another whale....wow..."thinks the whale" we are playing.....oops trainer stops playing with me....she bends down....I grab her long hair and pull her in........trying to kill her? I don't think so, I think I was just playing.

that said....when an animal has already killed 2 people, why is it allowed to be in the situation for that to happen again.
Shep

Post by Shep »

Schuarta wrote:?

That's what kids are being taught today. Here's another example of today's PC teaching to our kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Nyt4Bmi8

The average 6-year-old today are being taught that polar bears are cuddly and friendly.
Are you the only person here who did not detect the dripping sarcasm in my post?
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

I'm kind of torn on this..... but, I think that perhaps it's time to destroy this whale... he's apparently a bad boy with a gruesome track record.

I'll tell you what kind of bugs me about this- Those who know me, realize that I have NO PROBLEM with "big business". However... I can't help but think if this occurred at a place other than a bijillion dollar operation, all hell would break loose over this death....

I hope this gal's survivors sue the pants out of the corporatation.... :(
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Shep wrote:Are you the only person here who did not detect the dripping sarcasm in my post?

I got it, and agree.

But wouldn't you agree that a great number of today's youth, and some uninformed adults, having seen the whale snout out of the water, hugged by a trainer, either in pictures or in person, consider an orca to be a playful puppy.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Shep

Post by Shep »

Of course I do, but I really can't agree with Nanette to destroy the animal for doing what animals do. At the very least return him to the ocean somehow and let it take it's chances, as it would probably not survive in the wild anyway after captivity.