Memo to the NFL...F DAT!

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
Oyster

Memo to the NFL...F DAT!

Post by Oyster »

Dear NFL:

Who Dat!?

You don't own it! And you can't have it!

Yours truly,
The Who Dat! Nation
WWL showed the clip referenced in the article with Paulsen and Aaron this am.
As the article says, it is a very gray area to me.

I wonder if Hebert will get a letter? Ronnie Lamarque? Everyone in the city?

link:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Whoowns ... 41572.html
JRO

Re: Memo to the NFL...F DAT!

Post by JRO »

F DAT

Nobody owns WHO DAT
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

That's a terrible road for the NFL to take, especially in the midst of this amazing feel good story that we are in the midst of.
I understand the "nipping it in the bud" attitude that Goliath corporations take against the David's, but this is an exponential overstep on the NFL's part.

If they want really see the passion of the Who Dat Nation (am I allowed to use that reference??) then let them continue down this road.
I am pretty sure they don't own the phrase "F@@K the NFL! We ARE the WHO DAT NATION!!"

How would they like to see that printed on shirts and the crowd proudly wearing them during broadcast games next year?( And I am guessing we will have no less than 4 nationally televised games next year)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

If the merchandise doesn't have Saints or the Saints trademark Fleur de lis, the NFL cannot do anything. There is no basis to claim ownership to an expression that has been around since the 1890s and does not mention the team.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

bam bam wrote:If the merchandise doesn't have Saints or the Saints trademark Fleur de lis, the NFL cannot do anything. There is no basis to claim ownership to an expression that has been around since the 1890s and does not mention the team.
You're our resident attorney, Bam.... BUT.... how in the hell can the NFL claim our Fleur de lis????? (I can see if it were shown on a Saints Helmet, but not the logo itself.... right????) :confused:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

NoNoNanette wrote:You're our resident attorney, Bam.... BUT.... how in the hell can the NFL claim our Fleur de lis????? (I can see if it were shown on a Saints Helmet, but not the logo itself.... right????) :confused:
I was thinking about that. Isn't that like trying to own the rights to a circle or a square?
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

In 2007, I paid the New Orleans bar association $300 for the privilege of knowing this information. The saints fleur de lis is significantly different in design from other fleur de lis. Hence, they are able to claim ownership of the logo on the helmet.

I learned this at a CLE given by the Saints general counsel. That is the extent of my intellectual property law knowledge. But I can help you if your kid gets caught with a dime bag at Lusher.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Thanks, Bam. :bow:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hey Bam,
Can I trademark...SCREW DAT!
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Considering how aggressively Toys 'R' Us pursued anyone using 'R' Us, or even just 'R', one would expect the NFL to now pursue the use of "DAT" in all forms and variations.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"