Air Travel Nostalgia

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
globe9

Re: Air Travel Nostalgia

Post by globe9 »

Agree with Cho. I grew up in the 80's and air travel was and still is, for me, just another mode of transportation to get me from point A to point B. It's not an "experience" or anything.

My grandmother used to comment when I was a kid and going on a plane somewhere with her that the class of people flying had really gone downhill since the advent of "low fares". She would say, "Now, even the common people can afford to fly." I don't agree with my grandmother's elitism, but that's who she was and I loved her. That is probably when it went from dressing up and an "occasion" to just transportation.
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

It is a nightmare now trying to fly somewhere. Destinations cancelled, number of flights axed to nearly nothing. My last trip both of my airlines went out of business and I had a heck of a time trying to get where I wanted to go in a good time frame. I imagine it will only get worse.

What happened to the "rules" of hygiene and weight that used to be mandatory for "flight attendents". I understand the age thing being lifted, but I do not think it is wrong to expect them to be able to fit down the aisle without bumping into you along the way. It is bad enough to get hit with the durn cart! I will say the the last couple of guys that were on my plane were much better than the girls both in attitude and attire.
globe9

Post by globe9 »

On a recent Southwest flight from Dallas to New Orleans, we had a wonderful male flight attendent who sang The Star Spangled Banner over the speaker system as we took off. At first, I was like, well this is cheesy, but he was VERY good and at the end, everyone clapped. It WAS cheesy, but it was also kinda nice. He was a young African-American male who appeared to be in his early 20's and very clean cut. The other flight attendents were female and were also dressed well and well coiffed. It was a nice flight.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

globe9 wrote:He was a young African-American male who appeared to be in his early 20's and very clean cut.
Didn't someone get called to task for saying somethin' like this before? :whip:
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Bamagirl wrote:No, I don't mean that at all. I think that the airlines should have a certain dress code and enforce it whether the employee is black, white, green, purple, man, woman, gay or straight. I never see the pilots looking like they have slept in their uniforms. Some of these attendants are pathetic. The look like they have rolled in an alley before stepping on the plane. Wrinkled uniforms, messy hair and fat hogs that could care less about their appearance.
Sure there are dress codes. Still, are you going to be able to fire someone over dress code?? Good luck!
From my perspective the airlines have a better chance terminating an employee over the ability to perform their required job, eg being able to safely and efficiently evacuate an aircraft when needed. That means being able to open the doors, emergency exits, etc. I've seen some older F/A's and out of shape F/A's that cannot even lift their bags into the overheads much less pull a 40lb. emergency exit. And they do weed some out that way but you still set yourself up for a wrongful termination suit if, say a year later when the case comes to court, the employee can perform the required task. Lawyers love to go after big corporations like airlines.

Back to your dress code, perhaps SWA does it right by allowing their F/A's to dress in "casual Friday" attire for their unifom everyday. If you knew how little overnight rest some of these crews get perhaps you may be a little more understanding. But I agree, some individuals should take more personal pride in their appearance. Of course, that statement could apply to many professions.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

ChoWeb wrote:I imagine if they were going to do it (and I don't think they do..to a point), is that you have to fit in the uniform, just like at Hooters.
Problem is, they make uniforms in all sizes, from petite to ct (circus tent)

I can't wait for the nostalgic days of the Amtrak to return! ;)
Bamagirl

Post by Bamagirl »

flyinbayou wrote:Sure there are dress codes. Still, are you going to be able to fire someone over dress code?? Good luck!
From my perspective the airlines have a better chance terminating an employee over the ability to perform their required job, eg being able to safely and efficiently evacuate an aircraft when needed. That means being able to open the doors, emergency exits, etc. I've seen some older F/A's and out of shape F/A's that cannot even lift their bags into the overheads much less pull a 40lb. emergency exit. And they do weed some out that way but you still set yourself up for a wrongful termination suit if, say a year later when the case comes to court, the employee can perform the required task. Lawyers love to go after big corporations like airlines.

Back to your dress code, perhaps SWA does it right by allowing their F/A's to dress in "casual Friday" attire for their unifom everyday. If you knew how little overnight rest some of these crews get perhaps you may be a little more understanding. But I agree, some individuals should take more personal pride in their appearance. Of course, that statement could apply to many professions.
I am well aware of how sometimes overnight rest is minimal. Dress codes are still part of employment expectations and when a company does not enforce the rules set up at the time of employment they are at fault. If a F/A is grounded at the time they show up looking like slobs they will think twice about it next time. If they aren't flying, they aren't getting paid. As far as rest deprivation....if the crew is THAT deprived of rest they should not be flying anyway.
PNG

Post by PNG »

BTG wrote:Recently I stayed at a hotel in Seattle for week that was near the airport and apprantly quite a few of the airlines used this place to put their crew up. It was amazing to see the women from Korean Airlines(I think that was their name).
Their hiring policy must have read like this- At least 5 foot 8, under 125 pounds, good looks, and the ability to fix your hair and make up perfectly every day.
Those women all looked identical.
You should see the stewardesses on Cuba's national airline. They pick them tall and beautiful. Quantas usually has very attractive women too.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
globe9

Post by globe9 »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:Didn't someone get called to task for saying somethin' like this before? :whip:
Sorry, didn't mean anything by it...just that he was dressed appropriately--pants were ironed, shirts were tucked in. He didn't look like a slob or like he had slept in his clothes.

How come though someone can mention the race of other airline attendants on other airlines such as Asians and how they were all tall and beautiful? I'm not saying that is wrong btw, I don't care. I just think people are too sensitive about stuff these days. I didn't think I'd be "called to task" for describing the very pleasant gentleman and his great singing voice.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Bamagirl wrote:I am well aware of how sometimes overnight rest is minimal. Dress codes are still part of employment expectations and when a company does not enforce the rules set up at the time of employment they are at fault. If a F/A is grounded at the time they show up looking like slobs they will think twice about it next time. If they aren't flying, they aren't getting paid. As far as rest deprivation....if the crew is THAT deprived of rest they should not be flying anyway.
Bama, I mostly agree with you on your issues. What may make sense to you isn't always real world practical though.

I hate to use up any more of this thread with the dress code issue. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me more questions.