"Catch" to open on Magazine

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
RouxTheDay

"Catch" to open on Magazine

Post by RouxTheDay »

From City Business
Seafood pub Catch to open in former Semolina's space

by Emilie Bahr Staff Writer

http://dolanadserver.com/nopg/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=194__zoneid=10__source=up+to+the+minute__cb=836f4ee623__oadest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neworleanscitybusiness.com%2Fsurvey.cfm Image

Restaurateur Hicham Khodr’s ever-expanding culinary roster will grow again next week with the opening of a new Magazine Street seafood venue.
Khodr owns the Gumbo Shop in the French Quarter, Byblos restaurants in Metairie and on Magazine Street and Camellia Grill locations in New Orleans and Destin, Fla. He is also a partner in NOLA.
His latest venture, Catch, will open Tuesday at 3226 Magazine St., just down the street from his Uptown Byblos location, taking over the space formerly occupied by Semolina’s Bistro Italia.
Catch will be a “seafood pub,” offering a casual atmosphere and affordable pricing, Khodr said. The new restaurant will be overseen by executive chef Ryan Gall, formerly executive sous chef at Emeril’s Gulf Coast Fish House in Gulfport, Miss., said chef Michael Rouss, corporate chef for Khodr’s restaurant group.
Rouss described Catch’s menu as “a Louisiana twist on an English/Irish pub.”
“We’re gonna have fish and chips and charbroiled oysters ... shepherd’s pie, red fish on the half shell,” he said. In place of the bread traditionally served by restaurants with meals, Catch will feature homemade hush puppies.
“The whole menu is designed to be user-friendly and fun,” Rouss said. “There’s nothing over $23 on the menu.”
Meantime, Catch is not the only new restaurant on Khodr’s plate. He said he plans to open a new French Quarter Camellia Grill location at 536 Chartres St., “hopefully before Mardi Gras.”•
bam bam

Re: "Catch" to open on Magazine

Post by bam bam »

Gag me with a fork.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

http://www.nolaeats.com/forum/showthrea ... ight=Catch

Wow, you're slipping....I made reference to that on 8/27/09...either way, you heard it here first! :p
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I'll try the place. He hasn't messed up the Gumbo Shop. Opinions are mixed on Camellia Grill and Byblos Market on Vets is good. I'll give him a shot.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
mdesign21

Post by mdesign21 »

Went there for the opening this past Saturday! Was hesitant at first but the food won me over. The 4 cheeze crabmeat pizza is to die for! I also had the tuna and the shepard's pie. (which I highly recommend). Overall the vibe is chilled out, with great food and good service. It's refreshing to have something new in the area. Can't wait to go back and try something else on the menu! Btw, I met Nicholas Cage there too!
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

mdesign21 wrote:Went there for the opening this past Saturday! Was hesitant at first but the food won me over. The 4 cheeze crabmeat pizza is to die for! I also had the tuna and the shepard's pie. (which I highly recommend). Overall the vibe is chilled out, with great food and good service. It's refreshing to have something new in the area. Can't wait to go back and try something else on the menu! Btw, I met Nicholas Cage there too!
Nice to know he still visits here even though his houses were taken away.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Well, maybe if Bam would have let me order the Sheppard's Pie like I wanted to I could have enjoyed my meal there too, but instead it was beyond gross. It was suggested to me by my wonderful boyfriend that I should venture outside my 'comfort zone' and order something a little off the wall. So I ordered what was called "Fried seafood-potato ravioli" and didn't really know what I'd get. I got two large ravioli with a creamy seafood mixture inside, deep fried and placed on a tomato couli with some carmelized onions on top. I really didn't like it. Actually, the tomato couli was good.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I hate to tell you this but the Shepherd's Pie would have sucked as well. I am not really sure where to begin, I think I would have an easier time diagnosing what is wrong with the Cleveland Browns than espousing the numerous flaws of Catch. (It is fairly obvious we can add their social marketing firm to that list as well.)

It is probably best (or worst as the case may be) to start with the food, and in short JAG's potato and crab ravioli was a culinary abortion. And a late term one at that. The tomato coulis oozed over the plate in a foul manner. Gross is an understatement.

I had the Mahi Mahi with cheddar polenta and fried plantains. The dish reminded me of an art project that the little psycho skateboarding kid in 7th grade would have made. Shades of visually unappealing grays and yellow depress one's appetite in a way that is only augmented by cutting into partially cooked frozen fish. The polenta came swimming in some kind of grayish-broth that pretty much killed any textural enjoyment one might get from the dish.

The atmosphere can best be described as early Red Lobster, the wait staff intrusive without actually delivering, the wine list mediocre yet overpriced. Cleaning house would not be a good start for Catch, taking a flame thrower and burning down the house (most likely on New Year's Day in two years) would be about the only avenue for Catch to improve.
dansteino

Post by dansteino »

It's supposed to be a "pub."

So . . . pardon me for asking . . . how is the beer list?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

LauraMc wrote:Nice to know he still visits here even though his houses were taken away.
Guess Nicholas didn't read the review by the BamJags or he would not have been caught at Catch.