Penzey's Spices

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
EatinAintCheatin

Penzey's Spices

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

The father of a good friend of mine turned me on to these several years ago. He lives in the St. Paul area, where Penzey's started. They have stores in several major cities, but not N.O. My friend's father who is retired and moving back to N.O., contacted Penzey's to see if he could open a franchise but was told no. Something like, "the market isn't big enough."

I'd bet if there was a Penzey's in a premium location it would do great.

What reminded me of this was another post on Greek chicken. It called for Greek Seasoning. Penzey's just happens to have an excellent Greek seasoning.

I will be in Houston in the next few weeks and hope to make it to the Penzey's there. It's located in the Northwest area very close to Brookhollow...FWIW.

What are your favorite Penzey's spices?

Here's a small list of mine:
Herbs de Provence
French Thyme
Dried Shallots (unfortunately, it's been discontinued)
Shallot Salt (2nd edition, first one would "clump" up and clog the shaker)
Northwood Fire Seasoning
Chicago Steak Seasoning
Galena Street Rub

and many more.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

I'm a big fan of their vanilla and all of the cinnamons. I wish there was a store down here. I've ordered from them for years then they opened a store in Overland Park, KS. I was in there about once a week ..wandering around sniffing everything! The stores smell WONDERFUL! I really wish they would open one down here.

I'm also a great fan of their magazine "Penzey One"...it is full of recipes and human interest stories. It's the only magazine that I don't toss or give away.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

For my 35th birthday, my ex-roommate who moved to Minneapolis sent me a bunch of these. I need to replace a few but I love their curries as well as their various steak rubs.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Although we have not tried them, others we trust who have used Penzey's have also had good things to say about both The Spice House, and World Spice.
spudly

Re: Penzey's Spices

Post by spudly »

If you have only one curry it should be Penzey's Maharajah curry..lots of saffron threads and a awesome aroma and taste.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Have ordered most of my spices from Penzeys for years. Love their sarawak peppercorns. Tried the extra bold but my magnum won't grind them. I use Pendery's for their huge selection of hot peppers.
wish I never left

Post by wish I never left »

I actually live just a few blocks away from the Penzey's you're referring to. I suppose you could say it is near Brookhollow, but most Houstonians would say it is in the Heights.

I've only been in once, but it seemed very nice. As I have not been doing very much (that is, hardly any at all) cooking at home lately, I managed to not go on a shopping spree while there so I can't say too much about the quality of their wares.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Wish I never left, Before discovering Penzeys, I ordered other spices from Pendery's in addition to the chilis. The quality is not as good as Penzeys. I use them soley for peppers.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I LOVE Penzey's. I get the French Thyme, several of the peppercorns (I ordered 4 last time and can't remember them all). The Maharajah curry is great. And the Garaham Marsala. I'm sure I'm forgetting several. I've never ordered a spice from Penzey's that I didn't love.

I like "Penzey One" too - but it causes me to spend even MORE at Penzey's (guess that is their plan, isn't it?) I need to order more to make the recipes. I've never tried a recipe in One that I didn't like.