Who's Fired Up!?

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
Uptown Brat

Who's Fired Up!?

Post by Uptown Brat »

The Saints are coming! I know it's just pre-season, but who's going to be in that number tonight?
This guy.
I don't need to hear about healthcare. The cure for what I've got is in the Superdome. Give me a shot of Brees, a dose of Bush, some Colston therapy, and mainline some Vilma. I've been on life support for the last 9 months and tonight I start to get my Young mind right again.
I've got a fever and the only cure is Moore Saints Football.

Saints in the Superbowl!

Wooooo!!!!
Oyster

Re: Who's Fired Up!?

Post by Oyster »

I'm in that number!

Have to scope out the new talent!

NO...not the players...the new crop of Saintsations!

Wonder if they have Abita back?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I will be in that number as well - GO SAINTS!
Sine qua non
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

I was there. I think their performance last night will temper some of that fanatic optimism that pervades pre-season. They have a lot of work to do and a very difficult season ahead.
With that said, I will be tailgating in our usual spot and in my seat for every home game! Even the ridiculous pre-season ones.

Oh, and pbbtttttt! to the Saints for raising the price of beer by a buck! $8 for a crappy domestic draft! (They did have Stella on tap but I am not a big fan)
Time to get out the flasks!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
buzd

Post by buzd »

The first game is always the most vanilla of them all. 3rd and 13? The script says run off guard. I admit there were a lot of things that didn't look good, but that's to be expected. It's too early to panic.

And they raised the price of bottled beer by 50 cents? 50 f'in cents!!! Already I've had two vendor only have one single (from a 10) to make me tip 1.50 (and I mostly tip 1.00 anyway). The .50 tip doesn't really change anything for me, net, but it's still stupid.

I should have gone to Rick's after the game. I had about $25 in singles.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

buzd wrote: I should have gone to Rick's after the game. I had about $25 in singles.
Hmmm, I smell a conspiracy.
They must have had 4 pairs of girls trying to hand out "VIP" cards to various clubs as we walked in the Dome. I didn't see the usual groups that we catch on the way out but we left early.

If any of you own here on a strip club, let me give you some advice:
You want your "A" talent handing out the incentives. Perhaps it was preseason for them also but it definitely was NOT "A" talent, or even "B" or "C". Well, it would have been "C" but the beer in the Dome sucked!

And Buzd, as for the "vanilla" scheming, I got into a discussion with my bro-in-law. My contention is that I say they should let play however they are going to play when it counts. The theory that that team doesn't want to show what they will use when regular season starts makes no sense since that is only true for the 1st game. Granted, specific schemes are put in for each team but if you throw enough out there, no team is able to defend them all.
All last night proved to me is that we can barely hold our own without the use of "special scheming". In other words, we lose out on the all out, brute man-to-man-in-the-trenches-physical battle and we need tricks to win.

I've had 4 hrs of sleep in the last 48 so I could be completely bonkers.
What's your opinion?

BTW, we re-signed J. Carney, PK, tonight.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Apparently (according to WWL) they signed Carney because Hartley is going to be suspended for 4 games, presumably for a substance abuse violation.

As to "vanilla", I see what you're saying. But I don't think they're even looking for success as a unit at this point. they might call a play to see if a receiver runs the right route, or a guard can pull on a trap. 3 yard loss or not, they're looking at more specific items than "net yards", score, etc. Not to mention that you can't really get any cohesiveness when one or two guys are subbed in and out to see how they play with the "first unit", etc.

I agree that the first unit looked like crap at points last night, and they have things to work on. But that's what (this part of) preseason is for. It's hard to get momentum in the run game when you have 3-5 carries (Reggie). This game was about getting in football shape (contact), blocking, tackling, and evaluating decision making.

As for the mano a mano trenches. I see what you're saying, but if you're not even calling plays based on situation, you won't be successful. At this point, I don't think they even care about that.

Talk to me after game 3....
BTG

Post by BTG »

I thought it was an ok performance, but I never let what happens in pre-season bother me or fire me up. The Detroit Lions went 4-0 in pre-season last year.

The offense will be great. Nothing they could have done last night could get me to change my mind on that. Still need to see a 3rd and 1 get converted in a game though. The power running might be a concern.

The defense showed alot of intensity when the first unit was in. Charles Grant is going to be fun to watch this year.
Jason David needs to be selling those $8 beers. Not sure who he has naked pictures of, but he needs to be cut today.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

flyinbayou wrote: Oh, and pbbtttttt! to the Saints for raising the price of beer by a buck! $8 for a crappy domestic draft! (They did have Stella on tap but I am not a big fan)
Time to get out the flasks!
The Stella SUCKED! The Blue Moon was good, but the lines had a bout 40 people in them.
Poor dude in front of me had his half-pint drop out of his waist band and break. Hey...tip...buy one of the half pints in a plastic bottle. If the good stuff you want does not come in plastic, buy your good one, and a cheap one in plastic...then dump the cheap one on the ground and refill with the good stuff. They weigh about 1/5 as much as the glass bottles. Just hide the cheap label around or your frineds or they may think you buy cheap liquor and spent all of your money on your expensive tickets!

Oh..forgot to add...Peyton made a statement on Hartley. Said he had taken a No-doze type substance while driving home awhile back, and one of the items contained in it showed up, and it is on NFL Substance Abuse list. Wasn't 'roids, crank or crack.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Oyster wrote: Oh..forgot to add...Peyton made a statement on Hartley. Said he had taken a No-doze type substance while driving home awhile back, and one of the items contained in it showed up, and it is on NFL Substance Abuse list. Wasn't 'roids, crank or crack.
No-Doz is caffeine.

He took Adderall, which is an amphetamine used to treat adult ADD. He got it from a friend to stay awake on a drive - he knew what he was doing.