Another great evening in the quarter

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
justagirl

Another great evening in the quarter

Post by justagirl »

Bam and I went to the quarter tonight for some oysters at Felix...just to test the theory you know. Oyster shucker Mike was working. We had a few with him then made our way to Arnaud's French 75 Bar for 'a' drink. A drink turned in to several while we planned our 'progressive dining' evening. Here's what we have so far that I am hoping yall will chime in on and help us out with:

Rule 1) it has to be some place we can eat at the bar
Rule 2) it has to be in this general area (we're staying at Roosevelt to no further than Canal side of St Louis)
Rule 3) we're looking for several courses along the way

1. Felix for a half dozen raw and a bloody mary or beer
2. Arnaud's for smoked pompano and French 75's
3. Mr's B's for Gumbo Ya Ya and drink TBD
4. Rib Room for Rib Room Salad with Shiraz
5. Bacco for Lobster Ravioli and Chianti
6. GW Fins for Scallop and mushroom risotto with Pinot Noir
7. Dickie Brennan's Filet with Oysters and Cab
8. Cafe du Monde for Beignets and cafe au lait
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Suzy Wong

Re: Another great evening in the quarter

Post by Suzy Wong »

:covri: SKIP Mr B's it's barely mediocre. Go across the street to the Carousel Bar, have a Vieux Carre (cocktail) and some party mix snacks as your food item (AHAHA) instead....You'll be much better off....Galatoire's even....(Although I realize that's more of a place to have a complete meal)
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Suzy Wong wrote::covri: SKIP Mr B's it's barely mediocre. Go across the street to the Carousel Bar, have a Vieux Carre (cocktail) and some party mix snacks as your food item (AHAHA) instead....You'll be much better off....Galatoire's even....(Although I realize that's more of a place to have a complete meal)

Another option for the Gumbo course was Broussards....
Does anyone know if Mr B's still has the duck eggroll appetizer on the menu?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

GW's crabcake is good. Had a terrific chicken/andouille gumbo at Giovanni (everything else was subpar). Same for Prudhomme's. Good gumbo (at the bar). I prefer August's gnocchi to Bacco's ravioli (good flavor but tough pasta). Emeril's banana cream pie.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

They still have the duck:covri: springrolls;)

You'd be much better off at Broussard's....

But I think you'll be full WAY before you get to the end of that list!!!:toast: (or at least drunk....JJ!!!!)
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
buzd

Post by buzd »

The sizzling cold-smoked oysters at GW Fins are outstanding.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Suzy Wong wrote: But I think you'll be full WAY before you get to the end of that list!!!:toast: (or at least drunk....JJ!!!!)

I'm seriously questioning whether we can pull this entire thing off, but we'll try.

Any of these places would be great for several courses on their own, we were just going for something a little different and fun.
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

This sounds like a blast...but, I'd be purging at the Royal Orleans if I tried to do this.

One question: Why all the red wine? :toast:

If it is served by the glass the Mer Soleil Chardonnay at Fins is in my top 5 whites.
We've been enjoying some Rose Pinot Noir's...this might work w/ the gumbo at Mr. B's.

AND...can't you smoke at the French 75 bar since it's separate from the dining area? I don't think I could eat there if so.

May I ask when this is going to happen? Don't worry, I won't alert the JustaBam starved paparazzi. I'm going to be at Galatoire's for a big (long) lunch on Friday and wondered our paths might cross.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

It'll be an upcoming Saturday :)

I'll consult with Bam on the drinks, I'm open to suggestions. We kinda have to plan it out so I don't just go and order everything on the menu that looks good. I have a habit of that.

Yes, there were people smoking at the French 75 bar. I noticed it a little while we were there but I definitely noticed it when I got home and could smell it on my shirt and hair. The course there is a tiny dish of 4 toast points with smoked pompano and a champagne cocktail, I think we can handle it.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I could sit in the French 75 bar everyday. Absolutely gorgeous place to have a few drinks.

This progressive dining thing seems fun. Are you going with me or BTG?