Del Porto OMG!!!! Semi-Colon, Close Parentheses

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Del Porto OMG!!!! Semi-Colon, Close Parentheses

Post by bam bam »

My birthday dinner at Del Porto was so fing awesome I totally couldn't stand it. Hot date, gorgeous night, good food. I was giddier than Chuck Todd asking Obama a question at Wednesday's press conference.

I have wanted to go to Del Porto since late 2006 when I had some business at the old Courthouse in Covington. I walked across the street and was soooo totally OMG! that I had to txt my bff. LOL. Well, after reading Brett Anderson's review a couple of weeks later I was salivating and dying to eat there. But since I almost never leave New Orleans, it took me almost 2 and 1/2 years and the best girlfriend in the world for me to fulfill my dream of dining in downtown Covington.

Our reservation was for 8 pm and the place was packed. We were seated immediately which was sweet. There was an open two top at the front or four top in the back against the wall, TGWWSATFTAW.

I wouldn't describe the menu as pure Tuscan but it certainly isn't New Orleans Italian either. JAG and I decided to kind of eat our way through the menu. We started by sharing two appetizers. The first was white bean, artichoke puree served with crostini. Very creamy with bright vibrant flavors. The dish was garnished with caperberries and kalamata olives. I was able to take the stem of the caperberry and erotically feed it to JAG in a playful manner while still grossing out the rest of the restaurant. The second app was terrific as well. It was homemade mozzarella, melted and then accompanied by some roasted roma tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. This was amazing. Truly a terrfiic app that I could have ordered two of.

Our next course was a spinach salad with caramaelized mushrooms, Ricotta Salata and a mushroom sherry vingarette. I think the mushrooms were JAG's favorite food item of the whole weekend. The chef really brought out the earthiness to them and the flavor just exploded in your mouth. An incredibly simple salad that had an overwhelming amount of flavor. We had kinda thought this was the best thing we ate all weekend until.......

The waitress brought our pasta course, spaghettini with shrimp and fennel and olive oil. Not only was this the best tasting dish I have had in 2009, it was the best smelling thing ever brought to a table occupied by bam bam. The shrimp were as big as my fist and packed a big flavor to boot. The fennel while not overpowering the dish accented the shrimp perfectly.The pasta was buttery and light and gave a mouthful feel to the dish that it might have otherwise lacked. This was the food highlight of our weekend and if any of you get to Del Porto, this is a must order.

Next up came the entree. Kinda hard to believe after a day and a half at the B&B but JAG wanted sausage. So we ordered fennel sausage with roasted yukon potatoes and topped with caramelized onions. After the last dish, anything brought to the table was going to be a come down. However, this certainly was very good and I would definitely order it again but it wasn't the previous course. Our wine had opened up siginificantly by this point and the sausage and caramelized onions really pair well with the deep flavors of the Vallopolicella.

In the seven weeks we have been dating, JAG and I have a history of ordering non-euphemsitic blueberry desserts. Saturday night was no exception. We went with a blueberry tart, that had the best vanilla ice cream in the center. I was pretty full at that point but the blueberries were extremely fresh and vibrant.

Although the food is awesome, the restaurant's decor has no personality whatsoever. You do not even think you are in an Italian restaurant. The accoustics are terrible and the place is very loud to the point where it is very difficult to sustain a conversation. But they do turn the tables over fairly quickly. We arrived at 8 pm and they were still seating people until about 9:30 pm. Our waitress was cute and bubbly, yet professional. She had zero issue with us taking our time and having a liesurely northern Italian meal. When JAG told her, we wanted to have several courses and split them, she said "that's how to eat here." Well done, Ma'am.

Overall, this place not only lived up to the hype, it exceeeded it. It was the best birthday gift I could have received and was so pleased that the person giving it to me was there to share it. VERY Strong Recommendation. I can't wait to go back and it is now the frontrunner for best meal I had in 2009.
justagirl

Re: Del Porto OMG!!!! Semi-Colon, Close Parentheses

Post by justagirl »

Del Porto was amazing. The food and service were excellent and I had a great time there.

I was amazed to hear the owners/chef were not only absent from the restaurant that night, they've been in Italia for 2 weeks. Everything was executed so perfectly. I was extra happy with the kitchen serving our shared dishes on individual plates. That was a very nice touch IMO.

I really don't have much to add to Bam's review, he did an excellent job. It was exactly as it reads.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Please tell me that you didn't type this entire thing out on your iphone!

bam bam wrote:My birthday dinner at Del Porto was so fing awesome I totally couldn't stand it. Hot date, gorgeous night, good food. I was giddier than Chuck Todd asking Obama a question at Wednesday's press conference.

I have wanted to go to Del Porto since late 2006 when I had some business at the old Courthouse in Covington. I walked across the street and was soooo totally OMG! that I had to txt my bff. LOL. Well, after reading Brett Anderson's review a couple of weeks later I was salivating and dying to eat there. But since I almost never leave New Orleans, it took me almost 2 and 1/2 years and the best girlfriend in the world for me to fulfill my dream of dining in downtown Covington.

Our reservation was for 8 pm and the place was packed. We were seated immediately which was sweet. There was an open two top at the front or four top in the back against the wall, TGWWSATFTAW.

I wouldn't describe the menu as pure Tuscan but it certainly isn't New Orleans Italian either. JAG and I decided to kind of eat our way through the menu. We started by sharing two appetizers. The first was white bean, artichoke puree served with crostini. Very creamy with bright vibrant flavors. The dish was garnished with caperberries and kalamata olives. I was able to take the stem of the caperberry and erotically feed it to JAG in a playful manner while still grossing out the rest of the restaurant. The second app was terrific as well. It was homemade mozzarella, melted and then accompanied by some roasted roma tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. This was amazing. Truly a terrfiic app that I could have ordered two of.

Our next course was a spinach salad with caramaelized mushrooms, Ricotta Salata and a mushroom sherry vingarette. I think the mushrooms were JAG's favorite food item of the whole weekend. The chef really brought out the earthiness to them and the flavor just exploded in your mouth. An incredibly simple salad that had an overwhelming amount of flavor. We had kinda thought this was the best thing we ate all weekend until.......

The waitress brought our pasta course, spaghettini with shrimp and fennel and olive oil. Not only was this the best tasting dish I have had in 2009, it was the best smelling thing ever brought to a table occupied by bam bam. The shrimp were as big as my fist and packed a big flavor to boot. The fennel while not overpowering the dish accented the shrimp perfectly.The pasta was buttery and light and gave a mouthful feel to the dish that it might have otherwise lacked. This was the food highlight of our weekend and if any of you get to Del Porto, this is a must order.

Next up came the entree. Kinda hard to believe after a day and a half at the B&B but JAG wanted sausage. So we ordered fennel sausage with roasted yukon potatoes and topped with caramelized onions. After the last dish, anything brought to the table was going to be a come down. However, this certainly was very good and I would definitely order it again but it wasn't the previous course. Our wine had opened up siginificantly by this point and the sausage and caramelized onions really pair well with the deep flavors of the Vallopolicella.

In the seven weeks we have been dating, JAG and I have a history of ordering non-euphemsitic blueberry desserts. Saturday night was no exception. We went with a blueberry tart, that had the best vanilla ice cream in the center. I was pretty full at that point but the blueberries were extremely fresh and vibrant.

Although the food is awesome, the restaurant's decor has no personality whatsoever. You do not even think you are in an Italian restaurant. The accoustics are terrible and the place is very loud to the point where it is very difficult to sustain a conversation. But they do turn the tables over fairly quickly. We arrived at 8 pm and they were still seating people until about 9:30 pm. Our waitress was cute and bubbly, yet professional. She had zero issue with us taking our time and having a liesurely northern Italian meal. When JAG told her, we wanted to have several courses and split them, she said "that's how to eat here." Well done, Ma'am.

Overall, this place not only lived up to the hype, it exceeeded it. It was the best birthday gift I could have received and was so pleased that the person giving it to me was there to share it. VERY Strong Recommendation. I can't wait to go back and it is now the frontrunner for best meal I had in 2009.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

My thumbs hurt.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

I am so happy to hear about the awesome food and especially about the food-board love connection!!!
Happy birthday, Bam-Bam!
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

justagirl wrote:
I really don't have much to add to Bam's review, he did an excellent job. It was exactly as it reads.

That's right woman. As long as your opinion agrees with mine, everything will be smooth sailing for you.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Happy Birthday, Bam. Loved your report.
I have to agree with you - you have the best girlfriend in the whole wide world. You're a very lucky guy.
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

bam bam wrote:My thumbs hurt.
That was my first thought too!
Yvette
Maxine

Post by Maxine »

What Isabella said.

So glad the weekend was so fabulous!!

And On an unrelated note...
Isabella - I seem to recall something about you coming to Dallas. If you need my email Jag has it (suppose I could send you a PM but I'm typing this on an iPhone and it's killing me).
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Glad it was a wonderful Birthday weekend!

; -)