Napkins for everyday use. Paper or linen?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Suzy Wong

Napkins for everyday use. Paper or linen?

Post by Suzy Wong »

When I was growing up my mother only used cotton/linen napkins, in various patterns and colors.

I have been using the chinet paper kind for ages, but I have startd using cotton ones a few weeks ago and I love it. Much better than all that paper and it's only two of us so it doesn;t make much of a laundry difference.

Just curious what other people use at home.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Dilfan

Re: Napkins for everyday use. Paper or linen?

Post by Dilfan »

We use mostly paper, but I have a set of the 1st Class airline type cloth napkins that I got from Restoration Hardware a few years ago. One of then got caught in the washer and was torn, but the rest we still use regularly.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
bdavid

Post by bdavid »

Good point - I've been thinking of this lately. I always use linen/cotton for dinner guests, but we use paper for day to day. I grew up with my own linen napkin with its napkin ring. After eating, you slipped it back into the ring and used it again the next night. I like the idea of getting back to that. Thanks for the reminder!
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

When it's just my husband and I we grab a paper towel, lol!

But I've got a great assortment of cloth which I love. We use them all the time when we have dinner guests.

I have some linen napkins that are beautiful - from my mother.... but I don't use them. (hate to iron!) :)
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

Cloth napkins with a few of the good quality thick paper type on the side, if I am serving a messy dish like bbq shrimp, ribs etc... I can't stand not having a good napkin in my lap while I'm eating. Makes me feel nekkid.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
globe9

Post by globe9 »

As a kid, my parents always made us use cloth or linen napkins. They both still do. Now that I'm on my own, I use paper most of the time, but I do own cloth napkins and will use them when I have guests.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Paper all the time. If we have a "dinner party" it's a bbq or something casual. We live too far away from our friends to have a fancy dinner they have to drive home after.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Leo in B.R.

Post by Leo in B.R. »

Usually use paper - but should switch to cloth. I have some and "know better"!
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

You can buy fun inexpensive cloth napkins for everyday use. I bought a pack of commercial colored napkins at Sam's for everyday use. I buy holiday versions as well, so I can change them out seasonally. The kids enjoy that.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I use paper. I didn't grow up using cloth napkins in the house.

Judi, now I know...I thought for sure yall used cloth every day...you had me suckered! lol

I'm weird about eating...I can't eat with out a napkin (well, I physically can, but I don't like it) and I get upset when my napkin gets dirty...I know...I'm weird.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."