Best restaurant in NOLA - last six months

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
JonSmith

Best restaurant in NOLA - last six months

Post by JonSmith »

Cochon - the reasons are numerous, the foremost being the metered application of consistently high quality on both service and food. As food trends become more basic, err fundamental to their origins, in approach I don't think anyone is doing a better job of marrying innovation with tradition than these guys. And that rocket fuel called Moonshine Stephen is brewing is the devil.

Discuss.
ToddMa

Re: Best restaurant in NOLA - last six months

Post by ToddMa »

I haven't been to Cochon but Herbsaint puts out first class food with an all star service staff - even at lunch.
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

I've had some amazing meals in the past 6 months but without trying ALL of the contenders- (which I'm guessing we would for the most part agree on)-I can't answer this.:confused:
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

well certainly if you've been inspired by a place in the last 6 months then that would be "your best restaurant." There's no such thing as the "best" restaurant, objectively. There's a lot of places I haven't been to in the last 6 months, La Petite Grocery, Patois, MiLa, Iris. . . I'm curious to hear what you have to say, not what you don't.

There are a lot of other places, Gautreaus for one, I had 4/5 of an AMAZING meal at Gautreaus, but my entree was horrible, completely overcooked fish, inedible. I could only eat two bites. Doesn't make the place bad at all, they just made one bad dish. Stella is better than ever, August is singing, Cuvee is amazing still, but the most excited I've been about food in New Orleans in the last 6 months that I've been back in town is at Cochon.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

For a while I've been in the same rut. I tend to dine solo and at the bar...so I also tend to go to the same place a lot because I don't feel 'alone' there. Liek at Rio Mar, Missy is very friendly and I don't feel like I'm eating solo. Same for Max at Couchon. I know some of the bartenders at Herbsaint and keep meaning to go there but their bar seating is small and there's hardly ever a chair. Ashley (or is it Leslie) at La Petite also.

So, I go to the same places a lot, so it would seem to most the La Boca is my favourite....and that would probably be a good guess....but it just depends on what I'm craving.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
BTG

Post by BTG »

For me my meal at Pellicano out in Kenner(does that count?) was my best place, but I haven't been to too many of the nicer spots lately.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Last 6 months, I would agree with Herbsaint in that I've noticed a change for the better from what it was before, but Rio Mar has been nothing but delicious and consistent starting way before that.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Herbsaint had been a favorite until 2 dinners in the passed 2 months that were overcooked, dry and should never have left the kitchen. Giving it a rest for now. Cuvee and August are still up there.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

A month or so ago we went to La Boca for the first time and had a wonderful experience all the way around. The food was so interesting! I'm talking about the sides... very very good. The service was terrific.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Envie

Post by Envie »

MILA (scallop salad with grapefruit) and Cochon (pork cheeks with corn cakes) are my current favs.

Also, had a fun meal with friends at Vincent's last Saturday. Food and service were great.