The Country Club

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
DivaKitty

Re: The Country Club

Post by DivaKitty »

I'm goin'!
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

I've just never understood the desire to be naked in public places, gay or not. To me, this would be a huge distraction while dining. To each his own, though, I guess.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

justagirl wrote:Oh EC, it's definitely not for everyone. I totally agree.

I just took offense to the guy who called me a weirdo for liking the place. I'm a member, if that makes me a weirdo to him then so be it.:rolleyes:
What gets me is that it is a private club in the back pool area that does not allow non-paying members/guests, but it allows those its members to walk about w/o clothes in the public areas that are accessible to non-members.

I have no issues w/private clubs, but don't try to sell one concept while embracing another. This has been an issue for years with this place. (A friend of mine owned the real estate, not the business. Another friend tried to help w/the marketing, but couldn't get people beyond the general perception)

Customers, who are not savvy to the privacy, are in for a big surprise. Brett's review is delicate in addressing this matter. Not so many may read between the line. Know before you go.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Hadacol

Post by Hadacol »

BTG wrote:Some of you have posted about dining at this place. Brett Anderson gave it a less than glowing review in the paper today.
In addition to a few food complaints, he seemed to have had problems with the "environment". LOL!
Two beans.
Actually, I came away thinking that he really liked the place and that, given how often he ate there before he reviewed it, he had given it a fair chance.

As far as the pool thing goes, he was about as delicate as it gets. What more can you say? You're writing about a place with naked folks more or less wandering through the dining room-it's basically your duty to mention it and doing it without sounding condemning (which I don't think he was at all) is kind of tough.

Also, it was an exceptionally long piece for a review. The guy can write-well.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I go there almost every weekend, and I've never seen members naked outside of the pool area. We all get dressed or at the very least put a towl on and shoes before going into the main building. As for the bathrooms, I've only ever used the one private one, where you can close and lock the door and be in there all by your lonesome.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong and I haven't read the article, I'm just giving my many experiences there.

And as for the meals I've had there...I've enjoyed them all.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
BobRSnow

Post by BobRSnow »

As I understand it, all persons, (gay or not) must be at least covered in a towel when entering the building from the pool. So the chance of seeing some skin should be nill.
So unless you walk to the pool, or gaze out a window, you won't see anything you don't want to see.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Only in New Orleans! Whether or not it's your thing, I'm proud to live in this wonderfully tolerant and accepting city.
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I've been once. We sat on the porch out front. We didn't notice a thing except a lot of people with gym bags heading into the back. The food was good. I'd go back.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill