Alligator

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
Yvette

Alligator

Post by Yvette »

Did not want to ijack Laura's thread, so I started a new one on alligators.

I was riding my bike on the bike path on the lake. Right there in the water where kids and adults were fishing was an alligator at least 6-7 feet long. We shouted to the guy with the kids to be careful, he just waved us off. This was about a mile from Treasure Chest.
Yvette
cstoehr

Re: Alligator

Post by cstoehr »

The kids in the neighborhood where the little boy was attacked said that they had been swimming there for years with the aligators and that they had never bothered them. WTF was my first thought. WHY on earth would you intentionally get into the water with aligators? I can see swimming somewhere and all of a sudden one shows up....and then getting the HELL OUT! That is just craziness and asking for trouble. You could also substitute shark, snake, toxic waste....all the same to me.
PNG

Post by PNG »

The bayou where we always waterskiied as kids is loaded with alligators. They very seldom bother anyone. It is much more dangerous to get on the road with all of the morons driving out there than it is to swim near alligators.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
PNG

Post by PNG »

By coincidence................

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080 ... _in_nation

49 th or 50 th seems to be a great number for Louisisna.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

cstoehr wrote:The kids in the neighborhood where the little boy was attacked said that they had been swimming there for years with the aligators and that they had never bothered them. WTF was my first thought. WHY on earth would you intentionally get into the water with aligators? I can see swimming somewhere and all of a sudden one shows up....and then getting the HELL OUT! That is just craziness and asking for trouble. You could also substitute shark, snake, toxic waste....all the same to me.
I guess I am a "Smother":o But I have a 10 year old son, and I would NEVER let him (or go myself probably) swim in water like that, you really don't know what's in there like cstoehr said... especially with alligators! That's too risky:eek: IMO.

Anyone here with children let there kids go swimming in ponds, etc? Just curious.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

We used to swim in ponds all the time. The biggest problem is people feeding gators. Once you do that, they become deadly because they don't fear humans anymore.

We were going to buy a house on Ouiski Bayou in Houma until we spent a few minutes by the Bayou. There was a 4' gator that swam to straight to us. When we asked about it, we were told the neighbor's kids feed it all the time.

We passed on that house and the neighbors who are campaigning for a Darwin Award.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

After watching the video of the deputy describing the rescue, I was wondering if he had paint-balled the gator since he was so worried about the gun. But I didn't see any paint on the gator when they showed pics of it.

We used to swim in a pond at home where there were so many snakes that they swam right along with us and you'd feel them swim by. Never scared me then but I wouldn't put my toe in that water now. And when we visited my sister in Delcambre, we'd swim right off the dock where the shrimp boats came in. Last time I went to visit (pre-Rita), I couldn't believe the smell. I don't remember it smelling like that but my sisters said it did.