La Provence

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Yvette

La Provence

Post by Yvette »

Chef’s Rene’s Swan Song Farewell dinner: Whoever said his last meal would be lacking was wrong. This was an outstanding meal. Starters, sweet Maplewood foie gras terrine with blackberry preserves…..magnificent!!!! Next diver scallop, crab and oyster in croute. Came out boiling hot, good but not a wow. Next was duck confit sarladaise salsify paquet. What all that means was duck confit in a pastry. This was a wow though very, very rich. The final course was Broken Arrow Ranch venison loin. The flavors were all there, but mine was a little dried out. We had a dinner party of 75 people, so you have to do a little give a take in these situations. Rene came out to speak to our group, says he has not future plans of yet (I find that hard to believe) He and John Besh are parting on good terms and will remain friends. He wants to get back to the Southshore though for sure.

I can tell you this, wherever he lands, we will be following him.

Yvette
Boo Boo

Re: La Provence

Post by Boo Boo »

Took a couple of people there last Thursday after I heard Chef Rene was leaving.

We had an assortment, but one had the pre fixe that was the crawfish bisque, salmon and peach cake. They said it was exceptional.

I had the gnocci, softshell crab and creme brulee. Outstanding as usual.

Other member had the salad, rabbit and a chocolate mousse looking thing (by the time we had a couple of bottles of wine suggested by the waiter, I'm not sure what it was). They said it was very good.

We did not get to talk with Chef Renee, but spoke with his wife who said they are unsure of what they are going to do, but want to something "fresh." She took my email address and said she would let me know.

Joyce gave no information either and said the staff had just heard (expected response).

Overall, sad to see Chef Renee leave. He had an exceptional operation going there.
Mors Ex Tenebris
bdavid

Re: La Provence

Post by bdavid »

We were there Saturday - it was a zoo (thanks to Yvette's wine dinner in the back room! :)
We had the same responses from Rebecca, Joyce, etc. The food was exceptional, as always; service too rushed for my taste, unusual for LP but not too surprising given the circumstances.