Will he or won't he?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Will he or won't he?

Post by bam bam »

As of 8 pm EDT, Kobayashi is still not scheduled to appear at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest tomorrow due to a contractual dispute. The last two years the great champion has fallen by larger margins to up and comer Joey Chestnut. My thought is that Kobayashi is playing mind games with Chestnut and that once the dogs go on the grill, Kobayashi will be at Coney Island. Festivities begin at 11:00 am central on espn.
bam bam

Re: Will he or won't he?

Post by bam bam »

The Dogs are on the grill. We're about 25 minutes away from espn coverage. I have been monitoring news sites. No sign of Kobayashi. Joey Chestnut is a -1000 favorite. Huge odds. Patrick Bertlotti is second at +700 and Eater X is t +800. Lots of drama on Coney Island regardless.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Kobayahi not competing. Chestnut will romp to the 4peat.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I think Kobayashi's legacy is tainted. I have heard good things about this Monson kid. He's probably not ready yet. But we'll see.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I got a little misty during the introductions.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Will Chestnut hit 70? That seems to be the question. Over/under is 68 dogs.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Chestnut is off to a strong start. Sonya Thomas dedicated today to the people of Louisiana. A great tribute.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

No record today. Chestnut well behind the 70 dog pace.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

No record today. Chestnut well behind the 70 dog pace.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

A 4peat for Chestnut but without Kobayashi he wasn't pushed.
buzd

Post by buzd »

ESPN reported that Kobyashi rushed the stage after the contest and held on to barricades as they tried to remove him. He was subsequently arrested and charged with resisting arrest and few other things.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news ... id=5354152
crrush

Post by crrush »

Cuffed, but not stuffed...Kobayashi is generating some great publicity.

I'm impressed that he actually stayed out of the competition. Do people really consider competitive eating a sport? That's the angle from Major League Eating -- one of the bigwigs compared Kobayashi's stance to a football player wanting to go to the Superbowl without playing NFL or AFL.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

crrush wrote:That's the angle from Major League Eating -- one of the bigwigs compared Kobayashi's stance to a football player wanting to go to the Superbowl without playing NFL or AFL.
The last AFL game was late 69-70ish....some 40 years ago. Wow crrush, you're showing your age....
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

How is an eating competition not a sport? You heard the announcers compare Chestnut to LeBron. So they seem to think it's a sport.

Too bad about Kobayashi. His legacy is tarnished.
crrush

Post by crrush »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:The last AFL game was late 69-70ish....some 40 years ago. Wow crrush, you're showing your age....
Not showing my age...more like sports ignorance. But I could swear the MLE guy mentioned AFL.

Would that make competition eating the freak show of the sports world? I guess I just don't understand the definition of sport -- if it's just about competition that involves some kind of training and physical exertion, I can think of a whole lotta activities that could qualify.

Do you think LeBron would agree with the comparison?
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

My definition of a sport is a competition where 2 or more people compete with a clear OBJECTIVE winner. So I would say that whoever eats the most hotdogs wins.

Competitive eating qualifies. So does football, basketball, and golf.

Synchronized swimming, figure skating, dancing do not.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Gross, vomit inducing eating competitions are as much of a sport as bikini clad, silicone fueled bimbo's wrestling in pudding in a baby pool...............

But I'm sure they both appeal to sophmoric men whose maturity peaked and sadly stopped at 15.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

bam bam wrote:Too bad about Kobayashi. His legacy is tarnished.
Wrong analogy - this situation is far more akin to Don King and his boxers. Major League Eating told Kobayashi he could only compete if he agreed to be a part of their sanctioned events The owners of MLE are the bad guys in this situation, not Kobayashi
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose