Went to Mondo

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
LiveOak

Went to Mondo

Post by LiveOak »

Well, we went to Mondo last night. We went at opening time (5:30) so we would not have to fight a crowd. Now, I want to give this brand new place the benefit of the doubt. I live in the neighborhood and am thrilled to have this place here. The crowds have been tremendous. Lakeview is very appreciative and really does show its support when someone opens a business in the neighborhood. Having said that, Mondo will have to step it up for the crowds to stay. I am also keeping in mind that they have not been open a month.

My biggest problem with the food was simple lack of flavor. For appetizers we had something from the "snack" menu, three very small meatballs (marble sized) made of ground shrimp and pork glazed with some type of semi-sweet Thai sauce. The meatballs had a nice crust and were quite tasty, but we are talking one or two mouthfulls.

We had a second appetizer which was described as roasted artichoke with pecorino cheese and bread crumbs. The description sounded like a casserole, and I thought might be a cool New Orleansy thing. What it actually was was a couple of very small pieces of artichoke set into a bed of breadcrumbs at the bottom of a bowl. Very hard to eat as a good portion of the artichoke was the hard, inedible leaves.

My entree was braised duck with a turnip cake, sort of a potato cake except made with turnips. On the plate was a very small duck leg, two small stalks of bok choy, and the turnip cake. No substance, and it left me hungry. Very lacking in flavor.

My wife got a shrimp pasta sort of thing. This consisted of angel hair pasta, five or six shrimp, with a very lightly flavored lemon sauce. She was unimpressed.

The kids got a pizza which they seemed to like.

I don't usually grouse about portion sizes. I'm not a glutton. But these dishes, besides being unsubstantial, had no taste. I am not champing at the bit to return. Again, I do hope they improve. Mondo could be an incredible boon to the neighborhood. I am hoping this is growing pains.
ratcheese

Re: Went to Mondo

Post by ratcheese »

I was absolutely appalled to see a recent video on NOLA.com of Susan Spicer making Quesadillas.

Why in god's name...?

I don't even eat the nasty things but a chef with her training and abilities should leave the cooking of grilled cheese sandwiches to people like me, or more aptly, my teenage daughter.

I still love her for making the best sweetbreads in town, but her place in the Quarter is stale. Susan is in bad need of creative direction and seems to be merely following the latest trend toward simple.

Susan may be the best chef in town when it comes to execution and/or running a kitchen, but her sense of creativity is the same wellspring that once ejaculated the Duck and Jelly Sandwich all over the image of fine dining in New Orleans.

Hopefully, she will get some creative help so she can stay in the kitchen where she shines.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Don't discount a mere sandwich too much;) ratcheese. Julia Child liked a sandwich of fresh tomato with Helman's mayonaise on white bread....Simplistic cuisine isn't always a bad thing....

Live Oak,
Maybe they haven't gotten all the kinks out?...I do think it takes a few+ months to smooth out...(Hopefully so from what you said)....
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Suzy Wong wrote:Don't discount a mere sandwich too much;) ratcheese. Julia Child liked a sandwich of fresh tomato with Helman's mayonaise on white bread....Simplistic cuisine isn't always a bad thing....

Live Oak,
Maybe they haven't gotten all the kinks out?...I do think it takes a few+ months to smooth out...(Hopefully so from what you said)....
I'm all about simple. I'm into Tacos and BBQ, remember? :)

That's not the problem I had with what she was/is doing; I have problems with Susan's creative talents.

As for Julia, she obviously didn't know about Blue Plate Mayo.
Blackened Out

Post by Blackened Out »

Ratcheese,

Your experience mirrors mine. It would be one thing to open a bar with "bar snacks" food as is in vogue. But it seems to me like Mondo is trying to be all things to all persons, and not succeeding (at least now, time will tell) at any of them.

Just my two cents, but controlling the flow (with reservations) would help ensure your staff can handle the onslaught of a bar packed 5 deep with everyone waiting on tables. Cause this just makes it that much harder for the people eating the food to leave pleased. "I've been waiting for food for 2 hours, and you give me 3 meatballs?"

I hope it works.