"Catch" to open on Magazine

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
dansteino

Re: "Catch" to open on Magazine

Post by dansteino »

Hobbes wrote:Guess Nicholas didn't read the review by the BamJags or he would not have been caught at Catch.
I prefer "jam jam" to "BamJags"
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

I was hopeful about the "pub" aspect as well. But if there's an extensive or even sufficient selection of brews behind the bar, I don't see them. They appear to have three taps, one of which is Abita. Maybe they have a bunch of bottled beer in the cooler, but I kind of doubt it. I didn't go in. I just looked in from the street and scanned their menu.

The menu is bizarre. Almost schizophrenic in its attempts to meld the commonplace with the fanciful. Some of the dishes don't even make sense. They're trying to cover too many bases, trying to attract the downscale regular folk along with the more aggressive high flying diners but likely failing both. They should just concentrate on doing one thing and doing it well. It's like when you open a bar, make it an Irish bar or a sports bar or a wine bar, whatever. What you can't pull off is an Irish/Country Western wine and sports bar with ear splitting techno music on the dance floor. You think you're pulling everyone in, but you're really turning everyone off. It's insulting.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I attacked the menu immediately. I saw it as we were walking in ( the one posted outside) and commented on it before we even sat down. The first thing on the menu is a steak and it's the highest priced thing on the menu at $23. That should be LAST. The burgers, po-boys, paninis should have been at the top IMO, being basic and the lower priced items. I tried to rationalize the rest of the menu by saying it could apply to many...but even I wasn't buying my own BS at that point.

It's a disaster.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
buzd

Post by buzd »

flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

I don't know the owners but I am bit more skeptical than Lorin is about Catch positioning itself to hit up BP for its losses. Perhaps "money-grubbing jerks" is too strong of a label but if you don't think a savvy restaurateur wouldn't try to get money from BP, regardless of who's fault the failure of the business is, I think you are being naive. Why the sob story on the sign then?

As for the mention of Fatz, that's just funny!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

While I agree with her beef about restauranteurs' preoccupation with "concepts" over quality and execution, I see Lorin hasn't lost any of that cattiness that I've found so unpleasant. There seems to be a fundamental mean-spiritedness that runs through so much of her writings. This constant trashing of Tom is just pathetic.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Blue Cross Sux wrote:This constant trashing of Tom is just pathetic.
Let me fix that up for you:

This Tom is just pathetic!

Better? You bettcha!
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

Blue Cross Sux wrote:While I agree with her beef about restauranteurs' preoccupation with "concepts" over quality and execution, I see Lorin hasn't lost any of that cattiness that I've found so unpleasant. There seems to be a fundamental mean-spiritedness that runs through so much of her writings. This constant trashing of Tom is just pathetic.
Funny, I thought just the opposite - I have criticized Lauren int the past for being a cheerleader, and NOT voicing her negative views as lustily as her positive ones.

I, for one, am glad to see she has evolved to take on the role of food and restaurant journalist - New Orleans needs someone who advocates on behalf of diners, and doesn't just shill for his or her favorite restaurateurs
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose