Ronnie James Dio R.I.P.

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Low-N-Slow

Ronnie James Dio R.I.P.

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Learned today that Ronnie James Dio, of Black Sabbath and Rainbow fame, lost his battle with stomach cancer yesterday, May 16, 2010, at age 67. An iconic heavy metal vocalist, I don't know, however, what impressed me more-- his music, or the fact that, in interviews, he was the ever-thoughtful, articulate, and consummate gentleman.

The article that alerted me to his passing noted his birth name, which, for some reason, struck me as vaguely familiar. It went on to cite his past work with the bands Elf and Rainbow. I was aware of his involvement in Rainbow, but it was not until that moment that it clicked in my mind that the blues-rock Elf album I had owned for decades, which few-if-any people I know even knew about, featured a bassist/vocalist named Ronald Padavona who would ultimately come to be better known as Ronnie James Dio.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Turbodog

Re: Ronnie James Dio R.I.P.

Post by Turbodog »

Dio was a talented palyer of multiple instruments. Many of his fans might not know that he played horns and more, and was educated as a musician. That said, I didn't care for him.
Alex

Post by Alex »

He will be missed by me. I specifically remember him from Sabbath and then solo - Holy Diver and Last Line - good metal music.
Sine qua non
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Weird synchronicity...I was flipping through the channels today and saw the Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny and there was a pretty good bit of humorous dialogue about him. Then I saw this message.