One Last Fishing Trip... for a while

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
EatinAintCheatin

One Last Fishing Trip... for a while

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Last Friday I went fishing. Launched at Breton Sound Marina and proceeded to Stump Lagoon, Fort Beauregard, and several other places just off the MRGO.

The place was crawling with work boats, every one loaded to the gills with boom. Personally, I don't think the boom is gonna help that much but at least the fisherman are working and being paid.

We caught a few nice redfish and trout, but I would consider it a slow day.

I slow smoked two nice redfish with hickory on my grill. We ate one that night and I picked all the meat from the other.

Last night I used that meat, with an egg binder, Creole seasoning and some scallions, to make fish cakes. Coated with panko bread crumbs and fried in shallow olive oil/butter mixture. Topped with hollandaise sauce and served with avacado. Probably the best fish cakes I've ever had. Nice mild smoke, flaky fish, savory seasoning, just awesome.

I probably won't be able to get out fishing again before the oil intrusion, so this is how I will remember it for a while.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Mrs. Fury

Re: One Last Fishing Trip... for a while

Post by Mrs. Fury »

We were planning a charter trip in June. I guess that's out the window. Your fish cakes sound great. I never smoked fish but I'm going to have to give it a try. We just went fishing in Ft. Morgan, AL from the pier of the marina. Hubby caught some huge trout. I caught some drum, trout and a bunch of croakers. We didn't keep the fish but we had a blast.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Annie Laurie

Post by Annie Laurie »

EAC,

The fish cakes sound delicious. My husband and son went fishing Sunday.
They caught some beautiful redfish. We gave them to neighbors....wish
I would have kept a couple to make your fish cakes.

Annie Laurie
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

The fish cakes sound wonderful. Glad you got out there one more time.

I made the mistake of watching the underwater video of the spill at ABC.com this morning, and I'm still sick over the images. Its taking all my strength to remain cautiously optimistic about the near future of our waters and wetlands.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Hey now--we'll still have fishing Lake Ponchartrain and certainly Lake Salvador (for a while at least).
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Mrs Fury, Have you contacted the person or place where you booked your fishing trip to check the current status of their operation?
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Yeah..well at least it isn't Obama's fault.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Suzy Wong wrote:Mrs Fury, Have you contacted the person or place where you booked your fishing trip to check the current status of their operation?
It's around Barataria Bay. We were hoping to have enough money to go soon but I don't think we will anyway. Gotta do some house remodel stuff. If we have to we can always go back to Ft. Morgan, enjoy the beach and fish from the dock on Mobile Bay.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

bam bam wrote:Yeah..well at least it isn't Obama's fault.
Looks like he will end up owning this disaster, if something doesn't happen pretty soon. Not that it was, or is, his fault.