Acme

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Oyster

Acme

Post by Oyster »

Just wondering...how long will the lines be in front of Acme if the Raw Bar is shut down... :covri:

From WWL-TV:
According to Gunter, Acme has enough oysters to last the rest of this week. Beyond that, they're not sure, because Gunter said, if Acme can't get Louisiana oysters, rather than bringing in an inferior outside product, they may simply not serve raw oysters. "If we can't get the product we're looking for," Gunter added, "you hate to say it, but the Raw Bar would go unoccupied for a little while."

Link:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/gulf-oil-spil ... 03524.html
Mrs. Fury

Re: Acme

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I feel bad for you people who love raw ones, like my hubby. I've been to three different Acme locations with him and the food sucked at each one. The service was bad/weird at only one. Hubby was happy with the oysters though.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Having spent many hours in Acme, and across the street, on each trip we've made to New Orleans, I feel your plight.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Yeah, I never go to Acme. I never wait in lines. Just walk across to Felix.

Shrimp season for inside waters would have been opened this week. There would have been shrimp everywhere roadside. Not now. Closed! The Shrimp Lot in Westwego is just about out. They are selling farm raised and IQF. Can't get the fresh. Glad I bought 50 lbs on May 1st! They only have about 2 sizes now. They had about 10 sizes/prices last week. Down to my last bit of oysters though. May have to see if I can pick up another half gallon or gallon soon. Sure prices are about to skyrocket.

Pics from the ole Westwego Shrimp Lot:
http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/wes ... index.html

Write up from Times Pic:
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/westbank/i ... xml&coll=1
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I agree with Mrs. F. abt Acme. Their raw oysters are always good (so are Felix's), anything else at both places sucks bilgewater. So does the service. My favorite oyster place is Bozo's. They are unsure of the future availability of their star menu item.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Jeeves wrote:I agree with Mrs. F. abt Acme. Their raw oysters are always good (so are Felix's), anything else at both places sucks bilgewater. So does the service. My favorite oyster place is Bozo's. They are unsure of the future availability of their star menu item.
Jeeves, have you had oysters from Bozo's in the last couple of weeks?
If yes, & they were good, please tell me pronto!

They are down the street from my office & for some reason I never think to go there. I'll go Thurs & Fri if you say yes!
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Jeeves wrote:I agree with Mrs. F. abt Acme. Their raw oysters are always good (so are Felix's), anything else at both places sucks bilgewater. So does the service. My favorite oyster place is Bozo's. They are unsure of the future availability of their star menu item.
This.
Ate there a week ago and while their raw and charbroiled were good, the fried were overcooked and cold. Service was fine though.

BTW, Tommy Citanovich was on radio yesterday (again) trying to alleviate fears saying that if the oysters are questionable they will be taken off the menu.
He also said that they (Dragos) has contingency plans in place but it doesn't include importing oysters from outside of LA.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.