Shimmy Shack?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
NoNoNanette

Shimmy Shack?

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi guys.

While living in Metairie, Trish had suggested that we try this joint. Never made it there.

I've got a doctor's appt. in Metairie tomorrow afternoon. Thought we'd pop in for a sandwich and a beer for lunch.

Any feedback? Suggestions?
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Shannon

Re: Shimmy Shack?

Post by Shannon »

I haven't been in a while, and can't remember everything I've had. Nothing stands out as amazing, but nothing stands out in my (bad) memory as being bad either.

However - if you are pressed for time, don't expect to stop in for a quick bite. Every time I go there, my lunch hour turns into nearly 2 hours (a minimum of an hour and a half). Doesn't always make the boss happy.
TheSpecialMan

Post by TheSpecialMan »

It's actually in Elmwood/Harahan as opposed to Metairie. Same guys who used to be at River Shack with a similar menu. Burgers are good; seafood platters and po-boys are decent. I find myself getting the flatbread sandwiches pretty often.
I agree that it often seems to take much longer than it should at lunch.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Thanks, guys! (I simply adore the River Shack, so this sounds like my kinda joint!) Appreciate your feedback. :toast:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I can confirm what they said above. The food is ok but the service is extremely slow. However, if it's nice day you can sit on the deck.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Weird...we do Saturday lunch fairly often and I've never noticed the service as being slow. I like the southwestern flat and Doug always gets some sort of pastrami deli sandwich.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

They have daily specials. Look to the left as you walk in the door for a big black board with the specials. The food comes fairly fast, it's the check that we always have trouble getting. If I don't get mine fast enough, I just go to the bar and the bartender usually has the ticket or can get the waitress to give it to him. And as a last resort ask for Jimmy or Sam (the owners) and they'll get you out pronto.
For the regular menu, my favorite is the Philly Cheese Steak Flatbread.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Can it be slower than the painfully slow service at River Shack?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

justagirl wrote:Can it be slower than the painfully slow service at River Shack?
NO.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi gang....

We had a very pleasant lunch there today. Met our buddy at 11:30 am. The boyz had beer. I ordered a Bloody Mary. Presentation was MUCH better than the drink. A skewer of pickled okra, olive, marinated green bean and a bright red pickled thing that looked like a cherry tomato, but was probably a pepper???? Yummy anyway. The drink itself wasn't very tasty. :(

Chris and I each had the 8 oz. burger that was 1/2 ground beef/1/2 sausage. Good kaiser roll. Dressed. Very tasty.

Fries. Not as hot (heat wise) as I prefer.

Dom had a fried shrimp po-boy. Loved it. Nice sized shrimp. Good and hot.

I'll definitely return. We enjoyed it.

(THANX TRISH!!!!!)

BTW: Still like the food at Rivershack more.

Service was fine... maybe because it was 11:30. :toast: