JAG and Bam Try Some Ethnic Dining

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

JAG and Bam Try Some Ethnic Dining

Post by bam bam »

Well, we did Sushi Bros on Monday night, so not really. Even before we started dating JAG and I were big fans of this place. I don't think the sushi is as good as Kyoto but it's good enough and 20 times less hassle than Kyoto. Well, they were completely off their game on Monday night. We hope it is just a blip on the radar but I will certainly have a more discerning eye toward the level of service, prices and portion size. The main issue with the meal was that we ordered some Yellowtail Sashimi and it was still frozen. We sent it back. The waiter brought back the same exact plate of Sashimi. So after JAG and I huddled together, we decided to just send it back and remove it from our tab. We were kinda ok with that until the waiter made some lameo excuse and tried to pass off the second plate as different. Also the Chef's special roll was a little smaller than usual. We'll still go back and recommend the place but we are going to be much more careful there in the future.

So I call JAG up and say "Hey let's have lunch at Martin's." She moans and bitches and says she "can't do Martin's but let's go to Acropolis". I tell her I am not in the mood for Greek food since we are going to have to bail them out and the Greek economy is in tatters. She then says Cafe Equator. "It's Thai".

I can do Thai. So we hit it up and it's good. I didn't realize you need to request the heat level when you ordered your dish, therefore my curry was a little mild for my tastes.

Our next stop was Wednesday night for dinner at China Doll. I was not a huge fan. We ordered this bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer that was ok. Not a ton of flavor. Then we ordered the beef with green pepper and some other shrimp dish. You have to order fried rice separately. I think it would have been fine if we had gone with a big group and everyone ordered something different and we could have shared. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
justagirl

Re: JAG and Bam Try Some Ethnic Dining

Post by justagirl »

What I can't believe is we managed to have 4 meals under $40. So Rachel Ray of us.

Sushi Bros: I was dissapointed but like Bam, I hope it's a fluke and I will be back. They still have the best hot green tea in town. The music was horrible.

Thai: It's no better or worse than any other time I've been there for lunch. It's ok...nothing great nothing bad.

China Doll: The app was boring, Lomi Lomi, but I liked the entrees. The Shrimp Velvet was good as was the beef with green peppers. It would definitely be a fun group place. They appear to do a TON of take out. Next time I have an envie for Chinese, I'll go for lunch and not tell Bam.

For the record, Acropolis is really good.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

$40 does seem to be the new $30.

We used to try to keep everyday, convenience meals under $30, but now we hope for $40.

Neither of us have been cooking much lately, too tired, or didn't do a shopping, on and on, so we've been eating out an awful lot. Gott Gormet today, Jasmine Vietnamese last night, Lebanon the night before...

$40 is definately the new $30 for two everyday meals.
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

+1 on Acropolis. That place is great. I am addicted to their baba ganoush. Also, get their roasted chicken. I never knew such a simple thing could be so delicious.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

. Next time I have an envie for Chinese, I'll go for lunch and not tell Bam.

Next time you want Chinese...call me. Doug's not a big fan of it...but, I am.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Where is China Doll? If it is close to work, call me. I might make it. I have had a craving for Chinese for weeks and haven't done anything to satisfy it.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

China Doll is on Manhattan on the westbank. We were doing our Target runs.

For lunches here in Metairie I tend to go to China Rose...not far from Jerry's store so I usually combine lunch with a new pair of shoes. I'm such a girl.

Also: We can add a trip to Mona's on Magazine to our Ethnic dining diary. We went after Jazz Fest Saturday. As usual for this location of Mona's it was fairly empty. The food was delicious even if it wasn't what Bam really wanted. The Creole Creamery ice cream after was also great!
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Ahh, ok. THAT China Doll. I've been there, but it's been a while. I don't make it to the west bank often. (When I do, I have a tendency to lean towards Nine Roses).

I can do China Rose for lunch. That's a do-able drive for me if I take a slightly longer lunch hour. I could use some shoe shopping at Jerry's store too. I'm in need.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Shannon wrote:Ahh, ok. THAT China Doll. I've been there, but it's been a while. I don't make it to the west bank often. (When I do, I have a tendency to lean towards Nine Roses).

I can do China Rose for lunch. That's a do-able drive for me if I take a slightly longer lunch hour. I could use some shoe shopping at Jerry's store too. I'm in need.
I love 9 Roses & have been going there since they opened.
It's home away from home.

Shannon, not to take you away from 9 Roses, but please try Banana Blossom on the WB, Belle Chase Hwy (near Terry Pkway/Wall Blvd split behind the Winn Dixie) next time you're over here.

I know you like Thai & this is a very nice, clean version of the cuisine.

I used to love Sushi Bros, but the slip-ups, attitude, bad music & smoke wafting in from the employee lounge have taken it off the radar. Too bad, it was a great place at one time. If it improves, please tell me!