Eco cafe

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Gourmondo

Eco cafe

Post by Gourmondo »

The Eco Cafe has arrived on Canal St. in Mid-City. But you knew that, if you're cool enough. The first food foray was successful. Schoen's is blessedly and conveniently located across the street if it weren't. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they do not serve organically raised plantains and rice on a banana leaf spattered with bat guano. Although the requisite Central American handicrafts are available for your purchase. Actually, they have soups, salads and sandwiches, coffees and teas for lunch. They do a very limited breakfast menu - I don't think Ruby Slipper has anything to worry about. Newly renovated and spotless, mostly vacant space, with a cheerful and efficient young woman at the counter, supported by two older ladies who mostly stayed incommunicado working on take-out orders. I had the Cuban, which was not terribly inspired. Meat quality seemed ordinary and the whole thing was a bit heavy on the mustard. Excellent bread, though. The iced coffee was great. A tad pricey, but I would go back if I have the need for this sort of place when I'm working in that area of town.

http://www.ecocafenola.com