Killer Whale...Kills!??!

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
NoNoNanette

Re: Killer Whale...Kills!??!

Post by NoNoNanette »

Shep wrote:Of course I do, but I really can't agree with Nanette to destroy the animal for doing what animals do. At the very least return him to the ocean somehow and let it take it's chances, as it would probably not survive in the wild anyway after captivity.
I'm definitely "torn" on this issue. Was listening to WWL radio on Thursday. One of the commentators/guests said that it would never survive in the wild. And then went on to describe the probable public outcry about releasing a killer whale who could attack swimmers on our beaches. :rolleyes:

I dunno. He just seems like a bad boy to me. Maybe let him live in isolation?

On the other hand, one of my buddies said, release him.... too bad if he doesn't survive... let him enjoy doing what other whales do for awhile. She's got a point. Dunno.:confused:

Something amusing. They had a promo for the Friday a.m. show prior to Bob. G's slot. Wanted to discuss what should be done to "the FISH". LOL

Happy Saturday, gang... have a great weekend.:toast:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Nannette, I would suggest that you are guilty of anthropomorphizing. The whale is just doing what nature encoded it to do. Perhaps if you looked at the behavior of the other whales at the aquarium(s) as unnatural it might change your perspective.

If you isolate the whale you may as well euthanize him.

As for a solution, I suggest that we revisit ancient times. I say we take the hardened criminals on death row and give them a choice of the needle or a plop in the middle of the tank with Tilly in it. If they are able to swim to safety their death sentence is reduced to a life sentence. And if not, well Tilly has fun with a play toy and gets a fresh meal out of the deal!(All said tic):toast:

BTW, I keep hearing that he killed 3 people. Wasn't the previous killing someone that trespassed into the aquarium tank? Sounded like a dare that the swimmer lost. You can't really blame the whale if that is the case.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
globe9

Post by globe9 »

Yes, the last person the whale killed was a homeless, drunk guy who broke into the park after hours and somehow fell into the whale's tank....I say, Darwinism did it's job with that one.

I don't blame the whale in any way at all. Seaworld really should take better precautions to prevent things like this from happening, but accidents do happen sometimes and these trainers should know that. The job is dangerous and could be deadly. I hope they get a payraise.

Here's a question a friend posed to me however: He said, the whale is being a whale....what about when a dog bites someone, or a child, isn't that just a dog being a dog? But society will punish the dog or even euthanize it. I personally don't buy this argument, b/c dogs are domesticated animals and while the whale is in captivity, I don't think I'd call it domesticated.....my friend didn't buy this from me. He thinks the whale should be put down.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

In the wild, killer whales never kill humans....go figure...

Very good AP article explaining how that whale is BIG business and isn;t going anywhere:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587591,00.html

(ouch! re the comments on the homeless man killed. He more than likely suffered from some form of mental illness or impairment)

Dogs should be kept under control by their owner, if they bite someone the owner should be liable. If the whale would have somehow killed an audience member, there would be a massive lawsuit and no doubt a different outcome since it wasn;t a death of an employee. The whale and its actions are the responsibility of sea world.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

How do they know he would die in the wild? I've never understood that. He might not like it as much having to hunt for food rather than be fed but he'd have a lot more open space to swim. I always feel sorry for animals caged for our amusement.
Yes, the homeless guy snuck into the tank. The first kill though was a trainer who slipped and 3 whales went after him. They have no idea which whale actually killed him.
Anyone seen that show "1,000 Ways to Die"? it's just full of idiots. They had a story the other night of a guy who chained himself to a tree so it wouldn't be chopped down. The workers left him there and went on to cut other trees. A bear came along and had the chained guy for lunch.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

FlyinBayou: "anthropomorphizing"

You have increased my vocabulary. Many thanks! :)

And, I think you have an excellent point. I referred to this creature as a "bad boy"... :o

You've got my number. I have now seen the light. LOL :bow:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."