Ladders at Parades

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
globe9

Ladders at Parades

Post by globe9 »

I just got home from Endymion. My family and I always catch it on Canal and Carrollton as we have a home on Canal St. and can park right there. I don't begrudge the people who camped out in the rain/sleet and freezing temps for days their prime spots, but these people set up ladders right behind the barricades and these ladders stretch across for blocks. The large crowd has to stand behind these ladders and they seriously block any views or chance of seeing the parade, much more so than just a crowd that was only about 10 deep this year. I don't mind standing behind 10 people, but it's aggravating to be standing behind 10 people and then a 10 ft. ladder(at least 15 of them where I was standing, all along Canal and Carrollton) and even scalfolding.....I really think these ladders should go BEHIND the crowd. I know there is an ordinance saying that if a ladder is 6ft tall, it must be at least 6 feet from the street, but this rule is never enforced, at least not on the Endymion route. I just want to be able to see the bands/floats and maybe catch a little something. Do I really need to camp out 3 days beforehand? Sorry, just a little rant.
BTG

Re: Ladders at Parades

Post by BTG »

I gave up on it. Somehow, common sense has been lost and it is apparantly ok to spray paint a 100 ft wide square on the neutral ground five days before the parade and this counts has saving a space. Screw that crap.

We met some friends who had an RV parked on Julia and Loyola this evening for a while. The crowds were much more spread out in this area. We didn't get to stay for the parade, but this will be our spot next year. They say that the riders throw alot in this area too since it is the end of the parade.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I got up at 5 am and section off the entire neutral ground from Jackson Avenue to Euterpe with police tape. I spray painted the outline of several dead bodies and then lined up about 400 ladders even though we only had three kids in our group. I also built a spitfire and roasted an entire wild boar. Good Times.
globe9

Post by globe9 »

LOL!!! The crime scene tape and chalk outlines are a great idea....I may try it next year. I usually catch Bacchus across from Lucy's, but the crowds looked a lot bigger this year, probably b/c of Breesus, so I'm just hanging at a friend's balcony right now on Chartres St. and skipped most of the parade, although I can see it going by down the block. Large crowds in the Quarter today...probably b/c it was gorgeous!
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

I used to live on the parade route and I am not much for catching beads. I just like seeing the floats. I would hang a few feet from the last row of people and got a better view (except for the bands). One plus if you are a bead catcher is they throw a ton at kids on ladders so if you get behind them, you can catch their stuff. The parents do try to guilt you into giving up the good things you catch for their kid though. :hmm: