American Sector

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
jshushan

American Sector

Post by jshushan »

Group: I'm headed over there for lunch today. I've had the Gumbo, very good, and the chicken fried steak, good but not CFS by any definition I know.

I have recs for the rabbit pate and the sliders. Anyone else been or know what's good or not? Thanks.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
justagirl

Re: American Sector

Post by justagirl »

Jonathan, I am looking forward to checking this place out, so I am anxious to hear more of what you think.

Do they do breakfast by any chance?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

justagirl wrote:Jonathan, I am looking forward to checking this place out, so I am anxious to hear more of what you think.

Do they do breakfast by any chance?

Sorry. No breakfast. They open at 11 seven days, or whenever the Museum is open.

I want to venture out at night and try A Mano b/c it's only open for dinner. I'm going to try Domenica but they're open for lunch which makes it easier.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I went with my dad. It was good. He had the "Sicilian," served hot or cold. He had it hot. It's their riff on a muff. sandwich. It had a lot of artichoke hearts on it. He said it was good and that they are using first class cold cuts.

I started with the tomato soup, served over a bit of pesto and with a small grilled ham and cheese sandwich. They were really good. The tomato flavor really came through.

Then I had the meatballs and spaghetti. The pasta was, as usual, "American" style, i.e. overcooked at least a little. The sauce was excellent. However, the meatballs had been over browned and were tough on the outside. The flavor was good but less time in the pan please.

The house made ginger ale was tasty. This is a good restaurant that just needs a few growing pains tweaks. I'll keep going.

Jonathan
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

What was wrong with the Chicken Fried Steak? Since it was "not CFS by any definition I know", how was it fixed?
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

Hobbes wrote:What was wrong with the Chicken Fried Steak? Since it was "not CFS by any definition I know", how was it fixed?
The meat is rolled up. It's then cooked long, wet and slow. Once it's done. the rolled up meat is fried in rolled up form. It's then sliced on the bias into medalions and served that way, over jasmine rice with excellent gravy.

It's a good dish, it just isn't CFS as defined by a truck stop in Amarillo, where the dish was probably invented. Also, CFS does not mean jasmine rice. It may technically be chicken fried steak, most people look for a pounded out, flattened and fried piece of meat, not a thicker fried sirloin roll. I'd order it again, I just think the name doesn't fit the specific specialized dish that it implies.

Jonathan