Cursed Locations

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Low-N-Slow

Cursed Locations

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Some locations just seemed to be cursed-- doomed to failure by their very geography. In Metairie, I can count four for sure. Working roughly east to west, there would be East William David at Vets (most recently Red Eye Grill, now a vacant lot); Oaklawn at Vets behind Burger King (currently La Famiglia, previously any number of places); Kingman at Vets behind KFC/Just For a Day/Starbucks (now Izzo's); and Turnbull at Vets behind Lakeside Safari Car Wash/Iberia Bank, the latter of which is now apparently the impending reincarnation of iconic Bucktown seafood joint Sid-Mar's. Can anyone overcome the historic propensity for eventual failure at each of these addresses? Is being "just off the main drag" the problem? Are there other locations you can cite which seem to follow the same pattern? Are there any other businesses you can name which have overcome a similar location curse? Do you think Sid-Mar's can successfully replicate themselves anywhere else besides Bucktown?
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
RouxTheDay

Re: Cursed Locations

Post by RouxTheDay »

936 st. charles (le cirque)
628 st. charles (mike's on the avenue)

it's either the location(s) or vicky bailey. ;)
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Kenner, the corner of Vets and Williams. At least three things since Katrina.
Now this is more like it.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Location. Location. Location. :hmm:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Fed Ex Field.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Nothing's easy! Go SAINTS! :covri:

Tie at Halftime.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

RouxTheDay wrote:936 st. charles (le cirque)
628 st. charles (mike's on the avenue)

it's either the location(s) or vicky bailey. ;)
I think those spots die from lack of parking. Those two spot either have valet parking every minute you're open or you will go broke. To me, simple as that. Some locations simply must have parking or they will fail.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
dansteino

Post by dansteino »

The Delachaise is housed in what had been a "cursed location." They have survived and done well.

Rule: Location, Location, Location

Exception #1: Businesses that are so good and unique that they evolve into "destination points" (i.e. Martin Wine Cellar (Baronne), Cure (Freret).

No bar Uptown has the alcohol/food selection of the Delachaise. Cure and the Avenue Pub also cater to this niche . . . but the niche is big enough (and growing) for all three players to thrive.

Exception #2: Busineses with video poker.

The Avenue Pub brings to mind the second problem. Bars/businesses with video poker make soooo much f#$king money from video poker that they do not have to run efficient/good businesses to survive. Polly does an unbelievable job running the Avenue Pub now. Before her the bar actually lost money . . . but the business made money because of the revenue from video poker.

Video poker is the primary reason that there is a dearth of bars with above average liquor selection in this City.

I am sure there are other exceptions to my rule.
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

It's true. Most people are sheep and will not deviate even one block from the main drag (Vets for example). La Famiglia is a pretty good place and not even 1/2 block off of Vets. It's one building off of Vets and it gets avoided like the plague.

When I went to Gatlinburg this summer we found a little New Orleans place run by post-Katrina expats. It was not on the main drag through Gatlinburg but down a little shopping corridor. It was very quiet (as were all of the shops in this little cul-de-sac). The owner said she chose the location because rent, 50 feet away on the street, was three times as much.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Low-N-Slow wrote: Do you think Sid-Mar's can successfully replicate themselves anywhere else besides Bucktown?
Only if they can replicate the men's restroom....standing up straight was a challenge after you had a few...and you could see the lake through the floorboards.
Or so I remember :toast:
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net