Oak Alley Afternoon

Stuff To Do Around Town & Out In Da Parish. Where Ya Been? Whatcha Did?
Jeeves

Oak Alley Afternoon

Post by Jeeves »

Hanging out at Oak Alley isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon. You can tour the home or just stroll about, enjoying the gardens, the little restaurant (I used to visit Marcelle Bienvenu when she was chef here and lived on the grounds) and other attractions. The day's images are at http://ladayrides.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=372

Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
quarter rat

Re: Oak Alley Afternoon

Post by quarter rat »

I've spent several weekends out at Oak alley. having the luxury of walking the grounds, late at night? is something out of an old southern romance novel... over the years, this place has changed for the better. more and more is being offerered, and the quality of the food has too. Back when the sunshine bridge was home to a restaurant that I can't recall the name of, we went for valentines day. We were greeted with a dozen red roses, and a fabulous meal that truly made our weekend, along with wine to boot. the waitress was not local, but she had a wonderful attitude. We got back to the alley to see the fog roll in, and imaginations alive. Truly a GREAT place to stay, for peace of mind, and an escape from the city. the cabins are top notch... the tour didn't really do much for me. very short, and not as much to see as you would think. A better tour (on the plantation road) is nottaway. another great place you can stay overnight, and there you can actually stay in the original beds, and wander throughout the house without a guide.

but still in my heart? those oak trees at oak alley. seeing them in the middle of the night? Is something else. waking to a peacock in the trees? seeing armadillo's rustle underneath these live oaks? is like looking at the hands of god crawling out from under...
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Hey, Q-Rat! It's me, CC, from "that other forum". The restaurant you're remembering alongside of the Sunshine Bridge was Lafitte's Landing, the former Viala Plantation that Chef John Folse moved there from its original location not far away. It was once known as Raccorci. Lafitte's Landing burned in 1998 and Folse moved into Donaldsonville to Bittersweet Plantation. See http://www.jfolse.com/lafittes/history.htm

I hated to see the old Lafitte's Landing go. We spent many delightful times in the bar with Chef's father, Royley Folse, swapping yarns and telling corny jokes.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
quarter rat

Post by quarter rat »

yes... lafittes landing... what a great place. every mardi gras we'd spend time at oak alley, and do the dinner party there. Just great people, and great food. Nice to see they've moved into another space. I'll have to get the gang in on this, for next mardi gras... or next road trip... thank you for answering that question. It's bothered me for years... I was also saddened that Laura plantation had burned as well.

my favorite was draggin my friends down the road to make groceries, and watchin the looks on their yankee faces, when they strolled through the meat section... LOL