Saturday in the Vieux Carré

Stuff To Do Around Town & Out In Da Parish. Where Ya Been? Whatcha Did?
Jeeves

Saturday in the Vieux Carré

Post by Jeeves »

We needed an excuse to go to the Green Goddess, so we declared today "Saturday in the Vieux Carré". My pictures are at http://ladayrides.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

Check back later at that website, Mrs. Fury and JAG both have more pictures to post when they wake up! :)
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Re: Saturday in the Vieux Carré

Post by NoNoNanette »

Fun pics, baby.... but none of you? :confused:

I couldn't help but notice Johnny Donnel's place. Was he a friend of yours? If so, you might know/have heard of Dom's 93 year old aunt, "Gypsy Lou Webb". She and Johnny were dear friends.

Lou was a "colorful" FQ character. Ran around with Bukowski, Keruak, (I'm butchering spelling, but you get the idea... a real fast crowd):)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

NoNoNanette wrote:Fun pics, baby.... but none of you? :confused:

I couldn't help but notice Johnny Donnel's place. Was he a friend of yours? If so, you might know/have heard of Dom's 93 year old aunt, "Gypsy Lou Webb". She and Johnny were dear friends.

Lou was a "colorful" FQ character. Ran around with Bukowski, Keruak, (I'm butchering spelling, but you get the idea... a real fast crowd):)
I lived on Chartres and Dumaine when I was on NOPD. I was crazy about Gypsy Lou, I called her Pirate Girl. She and her husband, Jon, were frequent visitors at Johnny Donnels' Sunday salons! What fun, Johnny would fill the bathtub with ice and Pabst Blue Ribbon and we would hang out on that balcony and watch the passing parade until the sun went down.
www.ladayrides.com
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I posted a pitcha of Jeeves. Go back and check out my set, Nanette. I made a rhyme. :D
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

NoNoNanette wrote:Fun pics, baby.... but none of you? :confused:
Sniff! Us photographers never get our pitchas took! :( I think Mrs. Fury and JAG have some more pics to post. Check that website from time to time for updates. Thanks for worrying about me! :)
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Just dragged Dominic in here to read your post, cop-cop. He was amazed! What fun! I'll bet that we'll be sharing fun stories about Gypsy Lou.... (looking forward to calling her "Pirate Girl" to see if a look of recognition animates her face!). I came along in '83 after Uncle Jon died... knew Johnny, though. "The Skyscraper". :toast: Too cool, sweetie.... am going to hunt down some pics of you now.

XOXO

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Mrs. Fury wrote:I posted a pitcha of Jeeves. Go back and check out my set, Nanette. I made a rhyme. :D
Just checked out our handsome cop. REALLY looking forward to meeting you guys- wow. :toast:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

For me, total nostalgia of my last trip. Great pix as usual.

Do you all remember the years and years the courthouse was closed and surrounded with the chain link fence?

You've never eaten at the Court of the Two Sisters? If you have lots of time for a leisurely brunch, such as when you want to read the paper, do the crossword, do the suduko, or when you have friends visit and you want to sit around and chat for 2-3 hours and catch-up, the Court is the perfect place. It's best during the week, less traffic and/or pressure for the space. Great tables in the central courtyard. Endless buffet turning breakfast into lunch. Jazz/Blues music (not overpowering). It's not Delmonico or Stella, but I find their food quite tasty and palatable. :toast:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

It has been a while since I enjoyed a Sunday at the Court. When Ms. Baby/Dawleen was alive (you may remember her from some of the old forums and message boards) we frequently spent the better part of a Sunday at CTS reading a Sunday paper and enjoying the buffet and mucho mimosas! Then we went "around the cornda" to Pat O's or the other way to Johnny Donnels' for the remainder of the afternoon.
www.ladayrides.com