Coffee question

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
jane dough

Coffee question

Post by jane dough »

What would it be like if I brewed a pot of coffee using milk instead of water? Anyone ever tried it? I'm not worried about wasting the ingredients if it's a flop but I don't want to gunk up the workings of my coffee maker. Thoughts?
><)))>
Jerry

Re: Coffee question

Post by Jerry »

I don't want to gunk up the workings of my coffee maker
The sugars in the milk will likely gunk it up when it's heated.
As far as extracting the coffee, it would be a curious experiment.

You could first try using milk in your clothes iron, your car radiator or just boiling some pasta..

Please post photos of the results:eek:
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Jane that's an interesting thought. I'll bet Bob will weigh in on it soon.

When I was growing up, my grandmother used to boil water, and pour spoonfuls over the coffee grinds and they would drip into the pot.

I think that if you're curious about the result you ought to try this method first, because I'm guessing that you will ruin your coffee maker otherwise. (How would you clean it out? There's nothing that smells worse than dead milk).
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Annie Laurie

Post by Annie Laurie »

Hi,

I put the milk in the pot and add extra coffe grinds in the basket. Works
pretty good. Also, warm the milk a little in the microwave before putting
it in the pot....so the coffee will still be good and hot when it completes
brewing.

Annie Laurie
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

That sounds like the better plan. My coffeehouse experience back in college taught me that you have to be very careful with heat and milk. The milk urns had to be maintained at precise temperatures-- hot enough not to cool the coffee when mixed, but not so hot as to make the milk break down. Made for an ugly cup of cafe au lait when it did.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
BobRSnow

Post by BobRSnow »

Annie Laurie wrote:Hi,

I put the milk in the pot and add extra coffe grinds in the basket. Works
pretty good. Also, warm the milk a little in the microwave before putting
it in the pot....so the coffee will still be good and hot when it completes
brewing.

Annie Laurie
This method would be ok. You don't want to put milk in your Mr. Coffee or whatever. It'll be just a nasty mess and probably won't work. This is not expert advice. Just my opinion.

Whatever happend to warming some milk in a small pot on the stove and adding it to your coffee? Home made cafe au lait.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

jane dough wrote:What would it be like if I brewed a pot of coffee using milk instead of water? Anyone ever tried it? I'm not worried about wasting the ingredients if it's a flop but I don't want to gunk up the workings of my coffee maker. Thoughts?
It's very good & rich. But as mentioned don't do it in an automatic coffee maker. Use a drip coffee maker. An easy way would be to go to an Asian Grocery Store & get an individual French Drip Coffee Maker. They are around $4.

Using hot milk instead of water makes for a creamier cup of coffee.

I've done this a few times over the years & what prompted me to do it is this is how my mother always made tea. It's still my favorite tea brewing method although I only use it about 1/2 the time.

You could also do it in a French Press, just make sure you wash your press right away & wash it well. I'm going to try it in a French Press. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

I'll add that I've made a strong espresso combined with raw sugar & heavy cream to make ice cream. It's always a very small batch & sublime.

Wondering if you are thinking along these lines or just wanted a creamier cup of coffee?
bdavid

Post by bdavid »

Isabella Maja wrote:It's very good & rich. But as mentioned don't do it in an automatic coffee maker. Use a drip coffee maker. An easy way would be to go to an Asian Grocery Store & get an individual French Drip Coffee Maker. They are around $4.

Using hot milk instead of water makes for a creamier cup of coffee.

I've done this a few times over the years & what prompted me to do it is this is how my mother always made tea. It's still my favorite tea brewing method although I only use it about 1/2 the time.

You could also do it in a French Press, just make sure you wash your press right away & wash it well. I'm going to try it in a French Press. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Isabella, as I read through these posts I was thinking that the best way to do it would be with a French press. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning - sounds interesting. Perhaps 2/3 milk, 1/3 water though.
Annie Laurie

Post by Annie Laurie »

Hi

Just a note in case I didn't explain my method the right way.....

I put the warm milk in the "coffee pot" or carafe and the
coffee drips into the pot with the warm milk in it. I add extra coffee
so the coffee remains strong and just doesn't taste like warm milk with a little
coffee. Sometimes I add a little Pet Milk to the warm milk...good rich flavor.

Annie Laurie