The Preakness

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
NoNoNanette

The Preakness

Post by NoNoNanette »

http://www.preakness.com/raceInfo

As much as I'd love to see a Triple Crown winner, I've got to stick with my KY Derby pick, Pioneer of the Nile. (ran 2nd).
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
bam bam

Re: The Preakness

Post by bam bam »

This is absolute must see tv tomorrow. The storyline of Borel jumping off the long shot Derby winner, Mine That Bird to the Super Filly Rachel Alexandra, coupled with Rachel Alexandra's sale to Jess Jackson for $10 mil and trainer to switch Steve Assmussen (whose ass in on the line in a big MFing way tomorrow) is about as compelling as sports can get. I already have goose bumps thinking about this race. Additionally, you have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers as well as the Derby favorite, Friesan Fire, all coming back to take a shot at MTB. Usually, the Derby runners up scatter and then work to the Belmont.

This race alone should be a gambler's buffet tomorrow. RA's best race the Kentucky Oaks blows away every horse in the field. She is listed at 8/5 right now, I foresee her going off at 6/5 around race time. Contrast that with MTB who is the 3rd choice right now at 6 to 1. Remember this horse didn't pull a Giacomo running a nose better, this 50 to 1 long shot crushed the field by six lengths in the Derby.

Sure, MTB got a perfect run in the Derby. Sure, if you weren't there for the wedding, you shouldn't come to the funeral. But I think at odds of 8 to 1 or better, you have to put this horse at the top of the ticket. I personally think this class of male thoroughbreds isn't all that great. The disruptions to RA's routine are going to cause a bounce here. Look for another perfect storm and MTB to pull the upset but with odds of 8 to 1 or better. Look for Big Drama to come in 2nd and Musket Man to complete the trifecta.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Geez- watched a piece on CNN this morning about Pimlico. The place is DEAD. Falling apart. It seems as if the Preakness is the only thing keeping the joint open.

Wish someone would buy the place and energize it.
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
#7 throw away to do list.

Post by #7 throw away to do list. »

the company that owns pimlico, magna, is bankrupt. there had been talk of moving the preakness to magna owned gulfstream. pimlico is in the hood and slots at tracks in de and wv have hurt md racing.......agreee on big drama.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I am a little shocked by the short odds on MTB. Horse is now 6 to 1 and been as low as 5 to 1. I may play Big Drama on top. MTB will figure prominently in
my exotics.

Pimlico is and always will be a complete **** hole. Maryland Racing used to be as strong as Kentucky. They Dems in their legislature killed the sport with Keno parlors that feature fake electronic horse racing. Why they can't simulcast real racing into the parlors is beyond me.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Christ! The NBC horse-dude/commentator apparently had a face lift. I find myself actually turning my head, shielding my eyes and verbally groaning every time they show the guy.

YUCK.

Men age so well.... how flippin' stupid was the plastic surgery on this guy? :confused:

*cringing*

BTW: I'm sticking with my Pioneer of the Nile!
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

Well, the girl did it! And she really wasn't all that "into it." Don't know that she can pull it off in the Belmont - I think it's too long for her esp running with the guys. But you have to admit, she looked great today!
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Wow. I knew this was going to be a great race. I don't know whether I thought it was going to be a great race or I wanted it to be a great race. But man, that was just what racing needed.

First, Jess Jackson is so good for racing it is ridiculous. There is nothing to gain by running Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont. But I guarantee you, if RA checks out okay, they will be there in three weeks. Btw, I got dibs on RA and Curlin's 1st colt.

Second, Calvin Borel may act and look like he will be on To Catch A Predator in a few years albeit with an incredibly hot girlfriend at home but the man is the horse racing's biggest star.

Third, both horses ran their race and brought their A game. MTB came so wide but I think if the race had been another 1/2 furlong, MTB would have won. But nonetheless an ideal result heading into the Belmont.

Fourth, nobody was too interested in talking to the COO of Magna up on the daïs. I am surprised he didn't show up wearing a barrel with a tin cup full of pencils.

Fifth, MTB wins The Belmont.

What a great day for a much maligned sport.
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

Amen, Bam! And I think you are right about the Belmont...but the girl may just prove us wrong....

Can I have halvesies on the first colt????????
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

bam bam wrote: Third, both horses ran their race and brought their A game. MTB came so wide but I think if the race had been another 1/2 furlong, MTB would have won. But nonetheless an ideal result heading into the Belmont.
Agree 100%, and if could have had just a bit more room to work, would not have needed the extra 1/2!