Portobello's - BR

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Gourmondo

Portobello's - BR

Post by Gourmondo »

Went to BR Sunday to see the newest member of the family, a 5 lb., 9 oz. cutie with red hair. I wanted to explain to new Daddy that girls have this inborn talent of being masters at manipulating their Dads and it starts on Day 1, but the poor guy's eyes were already glazed over, I was too late. Pity. Oh well, wait 'til he gets that first cellphone bill.

Prior to the ogling and cooing session, we decamped to Portobello's Grill (near Jeff. Hwy. & Old Hammond) for a late lunch. Wife and I had steaks - cooked as ordered and tasty enough, but nothing special. The other two members of the quartet got salads which we deemed satisfactory, if nothing to right home about. Service was very good. The most annoying thing was the too-loud soundtrack playing music from some really annoying bossa nova album that must have been pressed in about 1965. I expected the Girl from Ipanema to samba in at any moment, sit on my thigh and rub her fingers through my hair, like some bad shtick from the Dean Martin show. Other than that, I could have sworn it was a chain restaurant and was surprised to learn it was not, at least not so far. I can't say the stuff on the other tables was very enticing either.

Aside from the super-cute baby, the day was not a total loss. Daughter has gotten into the 60's of late, so we raided the old LP closet and got some good stuff - a bunch of the early Beatles albums (plus 45's), several each from the Stones, Dylan, Beach Boys, plus Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Herman's Hermits and Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, amongst others. Lots of Elvis records. Bobby Darin, Trini Lopez, Jan and Dean, the Righteous Bros. And a ton of Chipmunks albums (hmm, wonder who liked those?). Just the album covers alone on some of these LP's are priceless.

I didn't even get to the 78's yet.