Best Rock Guitar Solo Ever

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Lobstros

Re: Best Rock Guitar Solo Ever

Post by Lobstros »

I'll add a couple to the list:

Highway Star - Richie Blackmore, Deep Purple. This solo has always been my "benchmark" solo, meaning that I could consider myself a good guitar player if I could learn to play this perfectly. I achieved my goal about 15 years ago and my guitar playing continues to improve.

Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) - Scott Gorham and Gary Moore, Thin Lizzy. One of the greatest, most epic guitar solos of all time. It's a shame more guitarists (and real music fans) don't know this one, as it never appears on any of those dumb "greatest ever" guitar solo lists.
Admin

Post by Admin »

For Lobstros:

Things cut loose at about 4:35.
Lobstros

Post by Lobstros »

And there it is! Amazing stuff, Strat vs. Les Paul!!!! Thanks Admin, that was very cool to see. Weird seeing Gary Moore sing that song though.

Here are some further thoughts on BRGSE:

The list provided by Admin is yet another to totally ignore Joe Walsh as a solo artist, as well as a member of The James Gang and Barnstorm. A damn crime! One of the best ever.

Great to see Neil young get his due on the list though, he is often ignored on these type lists. But, Cinnamon Girl is NOT a solo that should be on ANY greatest guitar solo list (except for maybe Greatest One-Note Guitar Solo).

John Mayer can play his ass off! That kid is for real.

My personal favorite Randy Rhodes solo has got to be Mr. Crowley.

LOL Peychaud. You sure you don't have an Elliot Easton solo you may like more?

Comfortably Numb probably is the BRGSE. Those pinch harmonics, tasty bends and clean, melodic, pentatonic runs cannot be denied.

Mr. Gilmour, congratulations. You shall wear the crown for all eternity!!!!
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Prince--Purple Rain

He is a criminally underrated guitarist.

http://video.aol.com/video/princepurple-rain/1799330
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Lobstros wrote:Great to see Neil young get his due on the list though, he is often ignored on these type lists. But, Cinnamon Girl is NOT a solo that should be on ANY greatest guitar solo list (except for maybe Greatest One-Note Guitar Solo).
Hence the wink at the end of my post. ("Note-for-note". Get it?)
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

As I said in the 3 piece band thread, I have been out of town.

Let me 1st say that I am an old punk rocker. Most of the bands I really liked back in the day disdained solos. I appreciate a short, sweet solo, but anything too long bores me.

This thread will take some thought, so I won't give my answer just yet. I will say I agree that Prince is under appreciated as a guitarist. I love David Gilmour.

I'm not sure if peychaud was serious about Berton Averre, but he is a good guitarist (and Get the Knack is a great records). And Lobstros, I'm not sure about your Elliot Easton comment, but he is another bery good guitarist. He has spent the past 15 years as lead guitsarist for Jules Shear, a fabulous singer/songwriter (also in that band are Rod Argent and Tony Levin).

Listen to Bye Bye Love from the 1st Cars record and you will hear some mighty fine guitar work.

My favorite guitar work was done by a band named Slobberbone (no longer around, now working as the Drams, which includes 3/4 of Slobberbone with 2 other players formerly of Budapest 1). So, I'll say I'll Be Damned, by Slobberbone features some great solo work.

I'll think on this for a while and post again later.

TB
Mac da Knife

Post by Mac da Knife »

Hey Turbo, welcome back.

I agree The Cars were a great band.
I wonder how many people hear them today as bumper music, not knowing it?

Don Mclean was right when he wrote "The Day the Music Died".
He was just premature by 15 years.
“When you say, ‘I wrote a program that crashed Windows,’ people just stare at you blankly and say, ‘Hey, I got those with the system, for free.’” - Linus Torvalds
PNG

Post by PNG »

I enjoy watching Stanley Jordan playing live, regardless of the solo he is playing.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
Lobstros

Post by Lobstros »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Hence the wink at the end of my post. ("Note-for-note". Get it?)
I got what you were saying Low and Slow, my comment was more for the fact that Cinnamon Girl actually shows up at #158 on the list in Admin's link.

My comment about Elliot Easton was in no may meant to be a dig on his playing. The Cars are just another example of a radio-friendly pop rock band with a fantastic, ripping guitarist (ala The Knack, Journey, etc.).