Regular Daytime Jazz Venues

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Low-N-Slow

Regular Daytime Jazz Venues

Post by Low-N-Slow »

My BIL is planning to bring his teen-aged son with him to NO for a visit. The boy has developed an interest in various forms of jazz music lately, and would like to explore the possibility of attending some live venues during his stay. Obviously, this will most likely mean during the day, probably in the Quarter and a bit tourist-y, but I would like to find something more for him than just standing outside places on Bourbon that he won't be able to enter. Any suggestions appreciated.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Jerry

Re: Regular Daytime Jazz Venues

Post by Jerry »

That courtyard/restaurant complex
on Decatur just before the Market has daytime live music...

There must be others that I can't recall right now.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
buzd

Post by buzd »

Jerry wrote:That courtyard/restaurant complex
on Decatur just before the Market has daytime live music...

There must be others that I can't recall right now.
That was the first one that popped in my head. The Ritz occasionally has combos in the afternoon. Brunch at Commander's (or any other jazz brunch)..
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

I'm going to Snug Harbor this afternoon. From 3 - 6, Michael Skinkus (sp?) & Tom McDermott are playing & it's free! I stumbled upon Tom McDermott when I was looking for some live piano music. Saw Michael Skinkus perform with him once during his Duets show. Made a note to catch this guy again, he's a great drummer & I hear that I didn't catch half of his talents.

I've gotten to know Tom McDermott a little (I'm really enjoying his music) & he tells me this gig on Sunday afternoon will run thru June & possibly thru mid July. There would be no problem for the young guy to attend & I think it would be a great time for both of them!
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. They're due in next week, and we're going to see how it goes. Mrs. Slow has a co-worker whose family members are professional jazz musicians who also have graciously extended an invite to have dad and son come over for an impromptu jam. I look forward to this possibility, as the dad in question is a prodigious pianist and songwriter in his own right, and if any chemistry spontaneously erupts, it should be quite interesting.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Keep us hanging, k, LnS!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

It was only one man on weekdays during my last visit, but Court Of Two Sisters has a musician for their "brunch". :cool:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."