Sherlock Holmes

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
Low-N-Slow

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Low-N-Slow »

We caught the first showing this morning. Regardless of the T-P's luke-warm review, we thought it a good entertainment. The film had a good, authentic period look, without the need to be too overly "grimy". The Holmes-Watson relationship at times had us thinking of TV's House and Wilson's love-hate bro-mance. It could have maybe used one less fight scene, but it didn't have us loooking at our watches, either. Pacing was good, as were Downey as Holmes and Law as Watson. Worth seeing. A satisfying conclusion notwithstanding, the ending screams "sequel". And, speaking of Downey, there was a trailer for Ironman 2 that looked interesting-- a lightning whip-cracking Mickey Rourke as his new nemesis.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
dragongrrl

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by dragongrrl »

I've heard from most of my friends (who have already seen it) that it's fantastic. Can't wait to go.
Now this is more like it.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

How can it not be good?
It's elementary...
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Not seen it yet. But trailers make it look like an "action movie", not typical of all those "intellectual" Sherlocks who have gone before.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

If you want Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, this is probably not your movie. But there's enough Holmes-ian powers of deduction and subtle mis-direction going on in there to balance out the action, none of which seems beyond the ridiculous, as has become the norm these days.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"