American Idol

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
kcdixiecat

American Idol

Post by kcdixiecat »

Do we have any American Idol fans?
Admin

Re: American Idol

Post by Admin »

I'm not in love with this year's format for winnowing 36 down to 12. A few apparently really talented people were not shown during the Hollywood week at all, and came in to these semi-finals with absolutely no momentum. The country guy who got through last week is certainly likable, but I think that other guy we never really saw before outsang him by a mile. I guess I'm not in favor of the show giving America the reins quite so early, given the propensity in years past for phenomena such as the Sanjaya effect. I wonder if we'll see the same with Nick/Norman.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Admin wrote:I'm not in love with this year's format for winnowing 36 down to 12. A few apparently really talented people were not shown during the Hollywood week at all, and came in to these semi-finals with absolutely no momentum. The country guy who got through last week is certainly likable, but I think that other guy we never really saw before outsang him by a mile. I guess I'm not in favor of the show giving America the reins quite so early, given the propensity in years past for phenomena such as the Sanjaya effect. I wonder if we'll see the same with Nick/Norman.
I agree. Yes, I thought the Ricky Braddy guy was much better than the country singer. He is actually a friend of a friend. They went to school together at Belmont College in Nashville. I've been checking out the blogs and they're really pushing him as a wild card. I hope he gets in.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I want to punch Tatiana in the face every second that I see her.

Just had to say that.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

I also dislike the 36 to 12 format. I like the twelve that made it but Lord we had to suffer through some historically bad performances.

I loved Norman but not for Idol. I'm not sure what he'd be good on, but I loved his unpredictability.

Tatiana was hard to take when crazy. Then her stupid friends told her to tone it down and damn near ruined her chance to be on the show. They obviously told her to forget what they said, because the crazy was back this week. Too late, alas, for her. I was glad because if I had to go through dealing with her several times a week I don't think I'd make it.

Kara is no fun and she's sucking the fun out of Paula by making her show up sober for work. Foo.

Thanks to the National Enquirer, Simon and Ryan are more fun to watch.

Wild card tonight was fun. Glad Anoop got through.
Now this is more like it.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Me too..I thought it was cool that supposedly at the last minute they decided to make it 13 instead of 12.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Always remember it's as much about casting as it is competition, maybe more. Was Tatiana on her knees begging in front of the judges?
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Admin wrote:Always remember it's as much about casting as it is competition, maybe more. Was Tatiana on her knees begging in front of the judges?
it sure looked like it! She was brought along for the ride for the ratings..I'm sure.
Admin

Post by Admin »

It appears they had a surplus of talent this year, relatively speaking. Most any of the top 36 rejects could have been top 12 or better in seasons past. Even crazy girl had some decent pipes. And Randy hasn't been able to use the word "pitchy" nearly as much as he would probably like. Agreed about Kara, not ready for AI prime time, and I don't think there's anything four judges can say that can't sufficiently be said by three (or fewer).
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Yes, three judges was plenty.

I also liked the way they did the thirteen. Nice surprise and Anoop was so deserving and cute about it that even surprise jaded old me got choked up.
Now this is more like it.