Braised Short Ribs & Cheddar Polenta

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Jesse

Braised Short Ribs & Cheddar Polenta

Post by Jesse »

About a month ago Winn Dixie had boneless short ribs buy one get one free, so I've made this recipe twice. It's Emeril's recipe and I made a couple changes the second time I made it and found it came out better. His recipe called for bone in short ribs, but I had boneless and found it to be fine. He also called for 1 gallon of water, which I found to be way too much so I used half and cut the salt down to the two tablespoons (he called for 1/4 cups). He also only called for 1 dried ancho chile pepper, and this time I used three and found it to produce a better flavor. Anyway, I really liked it both times. Enjoy! Oh, I also didn't put the chile powder on the ribs until right before they went in the dutch oven and found no difference in taste.

2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 dried ancho chiles
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 gallon water
Cheddar Polenta, recipe follows

Season both sides of the ribs with the ancho chile powder. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat oil in a cast iron dutch oven and sear ribs on all sides. Add the soy sauce, ancho chile, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, kosher salt, and water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Tightly cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are tender and fall from the bones, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Remove from the oven and serve on top of the cheddar polenta, with the cooking liquid spooned over the top.

Cheddar Polenta:
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup polenta
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water with the milk, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often with a large wooden spoon, until the polenta thickens, about 25 minutes.

Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the cheddar and Parmesan, and stir well. Adjust seasoning, to taste, and serve hot.
Yvette

Re: Braised Short Ribs & Cheddar Polenta

Post by Yvette »

How do you buy ribs without them being too fatty. I swear, everytime I make ribs, I must be getting the wrong thing, as they are so fatty.

I want to use your recipe, and have them falling off the bone like Houston's does without fat. I know you need some fat for flavor, but not hunks of fat, as I have been experiencing.

Can you tell me exactly what cut and kind you buy.

We love ribs.
Yvette
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I bought these from Winn Dixie, and they were labeled "Boneless Beef Short Ribs." Honestly, this was the first time I've ever cooked short ribs, but like you I absolutely love ribs. They didn't have any bug chunks of fat (I hate that too), but they were pretty well marbled. They were falling apart and super tender. I find the butchers at Winn Dixie generally very helpful, so I imagine they'd steer you to them!
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Thanks, I'm going to try again. I go to Rouse's, maybe that is the problem. I can make a trip to WInn Dixie.
Yvette
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

I use Herbsaint's recipe which calls for bone in. They are seasoned and seared on all sides then braised in the oven for a couple of hours. Once cool enough to handle the meat is removed from the bone, fat cut away and portioned. They are seasoned again, lightly floured and fried on all sides till crispy. A really nice contrast of crispy exterior and soft, tender meat. They are served with the strained, reduced sauce atop a potato pancake and a dollop of horseradish sauce. I've bought them from Dorignac's, WD, Rouses and Langenstein's. No discernable difference except when I mistakenly bought boneless, which were not nearly as good.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

jodyrah wrote:Once cool enough to handle the meat is removed from the bone, fat cut away and portioned. They are seasoned again, lightly floured and fried on all sides till crispy. A really nice contrast of crispy exterior and soft, tender meat.
What a great idea! That sounds awesome, I'm going to give them a try this way next time.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

FYI-They have the boneless short ribs at Winn Dixie buy one get one free right now.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

OMG, Jodyra....

That sounds AB-FAB! I'm going to try that with some boneless short ribs that I've had in the freezer. I love making potato pancakes. Oh, Christ.... I'm drooling on my keyboard! :bow:

(If they're as good as I'm thinking, I'll do it again, bone-in)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

The braising sauce is outstanding. (try not to drink it...lol)
Preheat oven 300'

5# bone in short ribs
heavily season ribs w/ salt, fresh ground pepper
dredge in flour
Heat:
2T canola in large skillet (med. ht)
sear all sides=crispy, golden brown
remove to large baking pan 1 layer (I use a huge saute w/ lid)
To skillet add:
3 stalks clelery, chopped
2 onions , chopped
2 carrots, chopped
cook till lt. brown, med. ht
incorporate:
1/4C flour
deglaze w:
1C red wine
Add:
2T. tom. paste
2C canned chopped tomatoes
when thickened a bit, add:
1 qt. chicken stock
3T Cane vinegar
2T Cane syrup
3 garlic cloves, miinced
2 thyme sprigs
1 sprig rosemary
bring to a simmer
season w/s&p
pour over short ribs to cover 3/4 way
cover with foil or lid
300' approx. 3 hours till fork tender
when cool, discard bones, remove fat, portion
strain cooking liquid, skim fat
in heavy saucepan, gentle simmer till coats a spoon
mount w/ butter, season s & p

to serve:
dredge cold, portioned ribs in flour
brown in small amt. of canola=crispy outside, soft inside
season
Plate:
potato pancake center of plate
ribs atop (like spokes on a wheel)
dollop of horseradish cream in center
encircle w/ pan sauce
Note:
this makes a ton but freezes well. I freeze the portioned ribs (don't four/crisp till defrosted and ready to proceed). Portion and freeze sauce (mount w/ butter once defrosted and ready to serve).
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Any new ideas/methods for short ribs? I have 12 small ones that I bought tonight, bone in.

I will probably make them tomorrow since my dear MFDC decided to cook tonight since I worked late.

I have an abundance of fresh creoles (that need to be cooked) & a few vidalias, red wine. Not sure what else I'll add, but I know that I won't go to a grocery, just the farmer's market. I'll make jalapeno cheddar grits to go with it along with something green from the farmer's market.