Pork Loin: What Else To Do With It???

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
edible complex

Re: Pork Loin: What Else To Do With It???

Post by edible complex »

Jerry wrote:It's boneless loin not tenerloin....they didn't have those today.
the tenderloins were on the butcher's wall by the lamb. 2 packs of 2 each for about $10 for 4, while the loins were out in their glory on the end cap by the wines. I love those racks of lamb; 2 for $14, w/about 8 chops per rack. and I can't ever leave w/o a rotisserie chicken for the road. they make a great stock for jambalaya after the mauling.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Clicquot

Post by Clicquot »

I like to roast a pork loin for dinner parties. Plump prunes or dried apricots in Cognac or California brandy. Using a boning knife or sharpning knife steel, make a hole down the center and stuff with the fruit. Roast in the oven. The aroma is incredible and permeates the meat.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Slice into very thin cutlets. Season, dust with flour, saute in olive oil w/ a bit of butter. Remove, keep warm. To the pan add sliced mushrooms. When cooked to your taste add:, artichokes (canned in brine, rinsed and squeezed, then quartered or sliced), minced garlic., Add: a combination: chicken stock, white wine,( or lemon ljuice) to total1/3-1/2C. Bring to a boil.Add butter chunks, shaking the pan to emulsify. This can take up to 1 1/2 sticks. Throw in some capers, return the pork, correct seasoning. I like it spicy so I add black/white/ cayenne. Add a generous amout of fresh flat leaf parsley on top. Be sure saute extra cutlets, this is terrific reheated (though the sauce will break). I've actually cryovaced and frozen making quick meals for my son in college. I usually buy a whole loin and slice it various thicknesses for different uses. Thick cutlets are good grilled and sauced with Marchand de vin or green mole.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Clicquot wrote:I like to roast a pork loin for dinner parties. Plump prunes or dried apricots in Cognac or California brandy. Using a boning knife or sharpning knife steel, make a hole down the center and stuff with the fruit. Roast in the oven. The aroma is incredible and permeates the meat.
This sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting.
It's nice to see you on the board & hope you are doing well.
JRO

Post by JRO »

I love to take the loin (cut to size depending on number of people) put a good coating of your favrite seasoning rub it in good.
Put on grill fat side up 30 minutes, flip it over cover the lean side with bacon.
cook for another 30 minutes.

Slice as you like & using this method I have never had one dry, always very tender & moist
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Saw a recipe in my doc's office today.... browned the pork, finished it in the oven, then served with a sauce consisting of:

Minced shallots, White Wine, Chicken Broth and either Rosemary or Thyme.

I've NEVER cooked with shallots, but might have to start!

Happy Friday, gang! :)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

This thread is worth it's weight in gold, thanks to everyone who has contributed!! I love pork, but shy away from the loins just because if I cook the whole thing, well.. unless I'm feeding a small country.... it goes to waste.

Pork is very tricky to warm over... but so delicious when cooked fresh.

There are awesome ideas in here, thanks again!
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

JudiB wrote:.

Pork is very tricky to warm over... but so delicious when cooked fresh.

There are awesome ideas in here, thanks again!
I did a thick seared chop marinated with lime, garlic and cumin...med. rare.
I froze most of it in small bags of two slices each for our quick after work meals...we don't get home until about 7:30 weeknights.

Tricky to warm is right - NEVER microwave!
Eat it cold or just warm slices in a hot gravy.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

JudiB wrote:This thread is worth it's weight in gold, thanks to everyone who has contributed!! I love pork, but shy away from the loins just because if I cook the whole thing, well.. unless I'm feeding a small country.... it goes to waste.
We get those from Sam’s several times a year, and usually divide when raw and freeze in manageable size packages (I love my vacuum sealer). When we cook the pork loin, there will usually be a small amount left over that is not enough for another meal, but too much to either finish or dispose of. We freeze these small quantities and use them in Bok Choy soup. Very easy to make and hits the spot, plus uses up a lot of small leftovers.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Jerry wrote:I did a thick seared chop marinated with lime, garlic and cumin...med. rare.
I froze most of it in small bags of two slices each for our quick after work meals...we don't get home until about 7:30 weeknights.

Tricky to warm is right - NEVER microwave!
Eat it cold or just warm slices in a hot gravy.
Do you have a toaster oven?
Let me tell you my secret to warming cooked meat.

Get a Pampered Chef #1448 Small Bar Pan — $16.00 (my oven is just less than an inch shy of being able to take the medium pan - measure your oven!)
My PC lady said to cook a pan of cheap biscuits on it to season the pan.
The cheaper the better. Toss the biscuits.
This didn't appeal to me so I cooked bacon on it! Worked like a charm!

Then preheat the countertop oven at highest temp for about 15 - 20 min.
I usually do 20 min if I have time.
Turn oven off & place the room temp meat (or at least out of the fridge for a little bit!) on the hot stone. LEAVE THE OVEN OFF!
Keep the oven door closed & don't open it.
You're working with residual heat here.
Let meat stay in there for 2 min & quickly flip it for a 1 - 1.5 min on the other side.

MMV. Test it out with your particular oven & whatever you're heating.
You'll get the hang of it once you play around with timing etc.

Will produce juicy, moist meat that is not overcooked, but heated through.
Will be like you originally cooked it.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/p ... AllOutlet=

Disclaimer:
I don't sell Pampered Chef.
But I do have a student who is a Pampered Chef Lady who is working her way thru Grad School (Music Major) at Loyola.
I'd be happy to share her info on ordering from her via PM.

And thanks to Yvette for turning me on to this great product & inspiration for this method!