Gnocchi a la LaBoca

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Gnocchi a la LaBoca

Post by JudiB »

I bought some premade gnocchi today at NorJo's. (and btw, now that I did a recipe search on the internet, it doesn't look all that difficult to make!).

Does anyone have any suggestions on a recipe for the sauce, similar to what LaBoca does.... or better yet, have LaBoca's recipe?

Oh and in my search, I saw a recipe for sweet potato gnocchi. Interesting.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
justagirl

Re: Gnocchi a la LaBoca

Post by justagirl »

Lots of cream, lots of cheese, peas and panchetta...that's all I have....I'll be more than happy to taste test for you.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Been thinking about making my own as well. Found an article on the net by a girl that says she's been making gnocchi in the traditonal way for years. She says she now uses potato flakes in lieu of fresh potatoes and that it's (obviously) quicker and in addition it's extremely light with no flavor dropoff. Interesting. My personal fav. is Herbsaint's. Seared and "sauced" with oil, lemon, tomato and parm. Very light. Patois"s with crab is very good as well as is August's. La Boca's is tasty but a bit too heavy for my taste.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Tom and I had what I can only call a FEAST last night. Thanks JAG I kept it simple. I boiled the pasta as per the package instructions, then made a simple cream sauce in the butter/sauteed prosciutto that I had made. I used the fat free half and half... (I swear I can't tell the difference!). I added some petite pois green peas at the end then grated some reggiano over the top of the pot when I was done, added a little sea salt and folded gently.

This was served with a salad with sweet basil vinaigrette, seared scallops and a stir fry of broccoli and green beans. YUM.

Jody, next time I'm going to make the gnocchi myself, and try the light tomato/parm/lemon, that sounds delicious.

I'm also wanting to try the sweet potato one. I wonder what sauce to give that one?
JudiB
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Judi, Rouxbe.com has an excellent video on homemade gnocchi. I haven't made my own since most recipes require a potato ricer. I've been checking consumer reviews. The "RSVP Jumbo Endurance" seems the best. It's a bit high, averaging $34 plus shipping. Anyway, Herbsaint's gnocchi is seared golden brown then tossed with oil, lemon, minced tomato and shaved parm. Much better than it sounds.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Forgot to mention, gnocchi must be cold before searing.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

justagirl wrote:Lots of cream, lots of cheese, peas and panchetta...that's all I have....I'll be more than happy to taste test for you.
sounds similar to a non-Italian version of a carbonara.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

edible complex wrote:sounds similar to a non-Italian version of a carbonara.
That's exactly what it reminded me of. God, it was divine!

Judi, just having Jag taste test wouldn't be balanced - you need at least 3 tasters.
You need another unbiased opinion. I'd be happy to be of service to you.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

Isabella Maja wrote:That's exactly what it reminded me of. God, it was divine!

Judi, just having Jag taste test wouldn't be balanced - you need at least 3 tasters.
You need another unbiased opinion. I'd be happy to be of service to you.
Just Say Gnocchi! I do mine with olive oil, pesto and mouli grated parm.
Perhaps a fourth bud is needed.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

LOL! Ya'll are sooooo sweet to offer. :)

I kept it very simple, and boy was it delicious. The only problem is, when you eat it at the restaurant, usually you just eat a small amount. When you make it at home... well.... there's lots of it, and then there's leftovers... and while it's wonderful... it's WAY too rich, as Jody said earlier.

Next time I'm going to keep it simple and sear it first, add some lemon and tomato and herbs.

I'm really intrigued by the sweet potato gnocchi, I have to try to make that. A sauce of pecans, oranges and brown sugar seems so predictable though - that's the first thing that popped into my mind. I wonder if there's a savory that I could do....? Isa, put on your thinking cap for me. :)
JudiB