Turtle/Mock Turtle Soup.....

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
NoNoNanette

Turtle/Mock Turtle Soup.....

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hey gang....

All of this discussion has my mouth watering. I'm confident that if I had a recipe using veal or beef, I wouldn't hesitate to try this at home.

Did a Google search, and nothing grabbed me..... some even called for chicken. :confused:

Love the Turtle Soup at Commanders..... a little blast of sherry upon serving. In the past, also enjoyed at Broussard's and Bombay Club..... a dark brown base.... probably veal, as it wasn't cubed, but crumbled.

Anybody have recipes they can cut and paste?

TIA:)
cstoehr

Re: Turtle/Mock Turtle Soup.....

Post by cstoehr »

I will look tonight and bring my cookbook from Commanders with me tomorrow, I think it is in there. If I can do it correctly I will scan it and paste it...if not I will type it up.
Admin

Post by Admin »

cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

Probably is, it looks similar. Hmmm...why didn't I think to look. :p

I remembered a few years ago when we got the book, wowza...there are 2 and 3 page recipes in here.....I do not see myself making much out of that book! The shorter the better for me!!
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Thanks, guys..... that recipe looks a bit daunting, though :o

Never would have thought of spinach in there. Anybody know what "concassée" tomatoes are? Crushed or pureed, perhaps?
Admin

Post by Admin »

"Classic French preparation of skinned, deseeded tomato pulp finely chopped."

Read: 1/4" dice.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Admin wrote:"Classic French preparation of skinned, deseeded tomato pulp finely chopped."

Read: 1/4" dice.
Thanks, boss! ;)
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Nanette, this note of yours sent me on a quest through all my folders of printed out recipes, and favorite cookbooks. :)

I made a mock turtle soup a few years ago that was just delicious, using round steak. I can't seem to find the recipe, but I'm not done looking. The only one I stored on my computer, (which means I have it on my website - which usually means I've tried it... or it looks so good that I want to try it...) is this one:
(but I know I have never made it with actual turtle meat and for sure I've never used one cup of bacon fat in ANYTHING!)

Turtle Soup

Mike Baskind is the chef at the Rivershack. He was featured on the show Diners, Drive In's and Dives with that guy, Guy. One of the dishes he served was Turtle soup. Well the Food Network has posted his recipe fo it. Here it is and keep in mind, it calls for a cup of bacon fat!:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dine ... index.html

1 cup bacon fat
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 pound turtle meat (see your seafood specialty store), silver skin removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
3 cups chopped baby spinach
2 cups white wine
1 cup cream sherry (plus more to finish soup table side)
2 cups chicken, pork or beef stock (or broth)
4 tablespoons hot sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
4 large bay leaves
6 lemons
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped green onions
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Sherry and lemon wedges, for garnish

For the roux:

Take 1/2 cup of the bacon fat and in a thick-bottomed pan cook the flour slowly stirring constantly to a brownish-brick red color. Set aside carefully and cool.

For the Soup:

In a thick-bottomed pot, heat the remaining bacon fat and brown the turtle meat and ground beef thoroughly. Add the bell pepper, celery, onions and garlic and sweat until translucent. Add the tomatoes, eggs, spinach, wine, sherry, stock, hot sauce, Worcestershire and bay leaves and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
Using a microplane and cut-resistant gloves, remove the yellow zest from the lemons avoiding the white pith; add to the soup. Cut the zested lemons and squeeze juice into the soup.

In a bowl, add the cooled roux, then ladle some of hot soup into the bowl whisking with a wire whip until a smooth paste is formed; add one more ladle to the bowl, then add the contents back to the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour.

Note: this soup is best the next day; if doing so, cool the soup as quickly as possible and reheat slowly when you wish to serve it.

Before serving, remove bay leaves.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi Judi-

You're a doll! :)

The roundsteak version sounds great...... if you run across it, I'd love to see it.

I'm sounding like a real sissy, but the spinach and the bacon fat intimidate me! ;)

Thanks.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Nanette, I use ground veal for "turtle soup" and it always turns out great. The trick is to season it with the right combination of cloves, allspice, and mace. That gives it a gamey flavor that tastes like it comes from the meat instead of the seasoning. I don't have the recipe handy, but I always use the one in The New Orleans Cookbook by Richard Collin. Buy that book right away if you don't already have it. I make a few adjustments to the recipe, though. I use half the cloves and allspice called for. I also throw in a small green bell pepper, chopped. And I use beef stock instead of water. Sometimes I put a couple boiled eggs (chopped up) in the pot. You'll be surprised how much it looks and tastes like the turtle soup at Mandina's. One thing to keep in mind, though is that this is a fairly thin turtle soup. If you cook it down until it's thick, the mace will be too strong. If you really want to do it on the cheap you could use lean beef instead of veal. That's what Mandina's uses and they probably sell more "turtle soup" to locals than any other restaurant in town.