Turtle/Mock Turtle Soup.....

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
NoNoNanette

Re: Turtle/Mock Turtle Soup.....

Post by NoNoNanette »

Thanks, Pete- I'll grab that cookbook.

Think for the first time, I'll go cheapo with beef. If that works out, I'll perfect it with veal.

I'm saving this entire thread. Thanks again, guys.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Nan, I'm upset that I can't find that recipe... I know it's here someplace, and I haven't given up! LOL as a matter of fact, I'm determined to make some tonight. Gosh I love that stuff. And I LOVE the dish at Mandina's... so if Pete recommends that recipe, I'd give it a try!

I did a google search and it's ridiculous the stuff that's out there, lol.

But I did find this recipe that is very similar to the one I used, except for this business of making the roux separate... then whisking it in at the end. That's not possible, as we all know. That roux would be a burned, charred mess if you did it in that order. If you use this one, just brown your roux and at the right moment, throw in the vegetables to saute'.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/10/20/c ... up-recipe/
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Judi- I just spent about an hour on that site. Wow!

Just took a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer.... I'm going to incorporate a couple/few of the recipes from the New Orleans Chicken Dishes page:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/category/rec ... en-dishes/

Great site. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. If I have great success, I'll post my finished product. :)
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Oh wow Nanette, I'm so glad you mentioned that... lol... I was in a hurry this morning and didn't even check out the site. oh WOW. My mouth is watering now for some chicken dishes. Thanks!! :)
JudiB
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

I like how the cook does the potatoes in the oven, rather than fried in some of those. I've got leftover ham from Christmas, tasso, plenty of potatoes, mushrooms, wine.... I'm gonna go wild. :)
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Nannette, I made it yesterday. I can't claim that it tasted as good as Mandina's, but it sure was delicious. :) And - NO bacon fat. lol

I’ve made this before, and for the life of me, can’t find the recipe I used. As I do often, when cooking something new, I will open up all my cookbooks, find recipes that appeal to me, then take a little something from each.

The only cookbook I have that has a recipe for Mock Turtle Soup is the Entergy cookbook.

I kept in mind the spices cloves, mace and allspice as Pete suggested, creating the ‘gamey’ flavor, but I used them sparingly.

Here’s what I did. I thinly sliced a lean round steak. I made a light roux, about ½ C of flour and less-than-that oil, I sautéed a really large onion, about half a bell pepper, two stalks of celery and three large toes of garlic, minced. I browned the meat then added a small can of seasoned chopped tomatoes. I splashed worstershire, crystal, added a sprig, (large sprig with about four stems on it) of fresh thyme, three bay leaves, a half a lemon squeezed and thrown in, a lot of water, and four beef bouillon cubes. As I said before, I added ground cloves, alspice, and mace... very sparingly. And of course, salt and pepper throughout the process.

I let it simmer for a few hours, until the meat was very tender, then splashed in some cream sherry, (into the whole pot). I boiled and chopped two eggs to add at the end.

I’m pretty sure that’s all the ingredients I used. It was deeeelicious. Of course it helped that I bought the meat at WholePayCheck. Seriously – their beef is outstanding.
JudiB
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Yum! I'm going to make it next weekend. :)

Judi, I'm 48 years old and have NEVER cooked with mace. Should I pick some up for this, or just blow it off? :confused:
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Oh, Christ! I wish that you guys could smell my kitchen! This soup is going to be out of this world.... (used a pound of ground pork, and a little over a pound of some Black Angus boneless short ribs that I had in the freezer....diced 'em up really small).

This one is definately a keeper! Thanks everybody for your help! :toast:
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Oh Nanette, YUM!!

Did you end up using the mace? I have some, but it's got to be over ten years old, and barely has any smell left, lol. I didn't use much of it, I really need to throw it away. I doubt it did anything, one way or the other.
JudiB
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi Judi-

Just a little bit of allspice. (didn't want to buy mace, and couldn't put my hands on cloves)

This was the creamiest roux that I've ever made. I ended up with a stick of butter and 3/4 cup of flour.

I'm absolutely tickled about this.

Next time, she shall buy real turtle meat! ;)