Freezing milk based soup?

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
fine66

Freezing milk based soup?

Post by fine66 »

Getting ready to make a pot of Crab and Corn Bisque using heavy cream and milk. There will be only 2 of us, can I freeze the left overs? Don't want to waste the crab meat.
Yvette

Re: Freezing milk based soup?

Post by Yvette »

I am making this as well tonight. In my experience, I personally do not like it thawed and reheated, but I know some do.

We should have gotten together, as I will have tons left over which my neighbor loves when that happens. She does not cook.
Yvette
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

I've got some Crab Bisque in the freezer.

My thought is to thaw it out, and then reheat it LOW AND SLOW. :)

(Never had a problem that way)
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

How about adding cream/milk/crabmeat only to what you will immediately consume and freezing the crabstock for a quick start later?
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

I've frozen some cream/milk based soups before. They work pretty well if you carefully reheat on low, but they are not optimal. However, I don't like frozen crabmeat, so I wouldn't freeze a soup with that in it. I'd just eat it until it was gone.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Okay, question, the crabmeat is already in it. I have way too much to eat before the milk and cream sour. If I freeze it now, can I reheat it in
1) the microwave to take the chill out
2) then heat in a crock pot to take to a Super Bowl Party?

or will it not taste good enough to take to a party?

TIA
Yvette
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

The cream part will probably do fine. I don't know what the crabmeat texture will be like. Once I was told that freezing crabmeat in milk would keep the texture such that upon defrosting and draining, it would be just like fresh. Tried it. Didn't work for me. Had that frozen crabmeat texture and taste. Maybe the soup will preserve it better. Not everyone is as anti frozen crabmeat as I am, though. If the cream seems to separate, you should be able to give it a good stir to bring it back together.

I did freeze some stuffed eggplant with jumbo lump in it and it worked VERY well. It's the only thing I've had success with as far as frozen crabmeat. Well, actually, I froze some crabmeat canapes with a mayo base which worked also. Every other dish I've tried is just yucky.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

Yvette wrote:Okay, question, the crabmeat is already in it. I have way too much to eat before the milk and cream sour. If I freeze it now, can I reheat it in
1) the microwave to take the chill out
2) then heat in a crock pot to take to a Super Bowl Party?

or will it not taste good enough to take to a party?

TIA
I have found that everything gets eaten at Super Bowl Parties. (esp the ones that start when the pregame begins along with the drinking :p)