Chili Colorado

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Chili Colorado from The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells & Denis Kelly

* 4 ancho or mulato chiles, or other large, dried red chiles
* 4 pounds beef chuck, fat trimmed and cut into 3/4" pieces
* Salt & freshly ground black pepper to season meat
* 1/4 cup chile powder
* 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
* 6 garlic cloves
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 cup Mexican beer

Soak the dried chiles in boiling water to cover for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Season meat chunks with salt and pepper. Brown in small batches in dutch oven on the stovetop. Set meat aside.

Drain chiles, remove stems and seeds. Put chiles, chile powder, onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander, and salt in food processor. Pulse to chop the ingredients, then process to a thick paste. Add beer and continue to process to blend.

Put meat and any accumulated juices back in dutch oven, pour in the sauce and stir well.

Cover dutch oven with a sheet of foil, then put the lid on for a tight seal. Bake in middle of oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Stir at 1 hour and then every 15 minutes thereafter, cooking until meat is fork-tender and adding more beer if sauce seems too thick.

After cooking, taste for salt and pepper.

Serve with warm flour tortillas, Mexican-style rice and cooked pinto beans. Optional garnishes include chopped cilantro, finely chopped onions, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, salsa or hot sauce.

Serves 8, with leftovers. Reheats well...perhaps better if made a day or two in advance. Reheat in 250*F oven, add a bit of water or beer is sauce is too thick.

--
I have also made this with cubed up leftover smoked brisket, but it is better with the juices from the cooked meat, as above.

*Also, note that is chile powder, which is just ground dried chile peppers, and not chili powder, which is a combination of ground chiles, salt, garlic, cumin, spices, etc.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Schuarta

Re: Chili Colorado

Post by Schuarta »

Thank you. Into my file this goes. I'll be doing testing in the next year, before the next contest.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

What type of chile powder? I have an assortment, de arbol, ancho, chipotle, pasilla negro, guarillo, jalapeno.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

It's personal preference. I use mild New Mexico. Something similar would be a good place to start and then see if you don't think one of the others might be better.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"