Oyster Dressing

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by JudiB »

Isabella Maja wrote:Judi, would you give us your oyster dressing recipe?
Isa, I sort of wing it.... no 'real' measurements. Here is a link though -

http://groups.msn.com/SouptoNuts/sidedi ... 8179784403

Use that link while you can. Sadly, MSN is closing down their communities. It was a great set up for recipes. They are offering a free migration to another service, which I'll accept... right after I copy all the recipes for safe keeping. I started it a few years ago, when my daughter moved to Denver and would ask me how to make this or that...I figured it would be good to have the ol' stand-bys in a safe place that we could both access.
In my house, it wasn't a turkey if it didn't have oyster dressing. It's an ordeal to make, and a very rich dish, but delicious. The year my mother died, I bought all the ingredients, then decided I couldn't face making it alone. (Mother and I used to get together the day or two before the holiday to make it - it was an all day affair for us, with lunch and lots of laughs. Each of my children had a specific job to do. Regina cleaned the oysters, and Matt cut up the french bread and mixed the ingredients by hand - both messy jobs). My awesome children wouldn't hear of it, and offered to do ALL of the cooking and ALL of the clean up, as long as I supervised. That had to be the best batch of oyster dressing ever!

I don't have exact measurements, because we always added things "till they look right", but here are the basics.

3 loaves of stale french bread, cut into cubes (and all the crumbs it makes when you do that)
3 or 4 pints of oysters, and the liquid!

One stick of butter
One bunch green onions, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 large toes of garlic, chopped

Do not saute these, add them to the bread mixture:
Fresh parsley, chopped.... about 1/2 cup
Thyme (to taste, but be generous)

Two or three beaten eggs
Turkey stock to moisten the mixture
Make this by boiling the neck (I usually buy a pack of necks some to boil, some to simmer in the gravy) and gizzards, celery, onion, salt and pepper

Clean the oysters thoroughly. That means feeling every one of them, taking out the shells and pearls. Reserve ALL the liquid from the oysters. It doesn't look pretty, but it's packed with flavor. After the oysters are cleaned, cut them in four pieces.

If you forgot to buy your french bread two or three days prior to the cooking, just slice it up and stick it in a low oven until the bread is crunchy.

Melt the butter in a cast iron frying pan, and add the veggies, one at a time, slowly saute until they are cooked through. (until the onions are clear) Add the oysters and cook for just a few minutes, until the edges are curled.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes and beaten eggs. (do this with your clean hands, and squish it all evenly together). Add the cooked veggies and any butter that's left in the pan. Combine thoroughly. Add the rest, including just enough turkey stock to make the mixture very moist.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Put in a large corning ware or pyrex dish and bake at 350* uncovered, until the top layer is brown and crusty. I usually take it out then, and mix up the dressing, and put it back in the oven - repeat a few times. Don't dry it out, just get that browned part mixed in. Take it out, cover tightly until you serve it.

This freezes very well, so it can be made prior to the meal. Do NOT microwave it, heat it in the oven for best results.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Schuarta

Re: Oyster Dressing

Post by Schuarta »

Not being a New Orleans or Louisiana resident, I have to approach some things more carefully. My wife has given me the OK to make Oyster Dressing on Christmas. I'll be using your recipe. I'll report back.

;)
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

I'm sure JudiB and Oyster could tell you there are a tons of recipes, and I bet Judi's is wonderful!

My late maternal grandmother made the best;)

As an fyi, we have always left the oysters "whole" instead of cutting or chopping. It was great to "find" the whole oyster among the breaded dressing.

And always use TWICE the amount of oysters.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday.

And don't forget the bay leaf!
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Thanks Suzy... you're absolutely right! Twice that amount of oysters is probably right... and heck, you can't go wrong!

It's the kind of thing I "eyeball"... very hard to write down.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Hi JudiB!:toast:
I know exactly what you mean, I don't even have a recipe written down. I believe my grandmothers is somewhere. I like mine a LOT (well, I LIKE ALL OF THEM AHAHAA) But mine NEVER tasted like hers. She used a cast iron skillet, I THINK or maybe it was revere wear sp? And she could get it kind of crispy edged before going in the oven, I don't think mine compares.

Hope you are enjoying your kids visiting!
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Well I did it. Oyster Dressing with of all things ham and red eye gravy (don't grimace). Thank you ladies for the recipe.

Since there were only two of us this year, I (sort of) scaled down your recipe to 1/3. Here is what I ended up using.

1 loaf french bread
4 toes garlic
2 eggs
20 oz chicken broth

2 medium onions
2 celery stalks
8 green onions
1/2 cup parsley
1 stick butter
1 pint oysters
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp Paul Pru... seasoning

Turned out delicious. Wife, not big on oysters (raw) even liked it. Interesting how oyster flavor permiates the entire dish. Pictures...

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."