Jack Dempsey's - comments?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
café au lait

Jack Dempsey's - comments?

Post by café au lait »

Jack Dempsey's - somewhere I've always wanted to go but never have. Any comments, good, bad or indifferent?
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I went there quite a bit back in 2001-03. I had been rehabbing a few houses in the Marigny and was looking for cheap eats. But I haven't been in at least five years. You get a ton of food (two people can split one platter), the atmosphere is non-existent and the service can best be described as curt. You'll definitely want to order one of the fried seafood platters. I can't remember what else they have on the menu but those are pretty good.

It isn't a great place by any stretch of the imagination but well worth going to satisfy whatever curiosity you might have,
justagirl

Re: Jack Dempsey's - comments?

Post by justagirl »

Ditto what Bam Bam said except I didn't refurb any houses.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I stopped in there about 8 months ago for lunch. I was on my way back from a customer in Arabi and it was an easy place to hit. I had a shrimp poboy which was good, but I noticed most of the regulars there ordering the special, which looked like a fried catfish/shrimp plate. So ditto too on Bam's rec of the fried plate.

I actually liked the atmosphere. Kinda reminded me of Mandich's with the old 70's feel.

Bottom line for me: If it's on my way to/from somewhere it worth a stop. I probably wouldn't go there for dinner and wouldn't make a special trip there.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Thanks all. I'm not looking for fine dining, just some good everyday food in a real casual atmosphere if I'm in the general vicinity.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

IIRC, Elizabeth's is not too far from there either, so that could be another place in that area to try.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Elizabeth's used to be so good. It pretty much sucks now. My DC wanted to go there for breakfast this morning and I talked him out of it and we met at Panola St Cafe instead. I was glad I could change his mind.

The Country Club is also in that area, Louisa between the river and Royal. They have brunch, lunch and dinner. I think they start about 11am. Very good food.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I'm sorry, I grew up a few blocks from there and worked from the old Fifth District Police Station during my cop days!

Jack Dempsey's is too much like Deanie's. Quantity, not quality. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing in Bywater. Please come back to Bachannal, Pete V.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Is hijacking allowed here?
Speaking of Bacchanal Jeeves...I saw Chris and Otter this weekend, both today and yesterday. Otter looks great and Chris still has a major limp, he ankle looks like it did a 180 and is still massively swollen. But it was good to see them out and about.

And Im affraid Pete aint coming back...I think this time he's done for good. I wish he'd prove me wrong though.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

justagirl wrote:Otter looks great and Chris still has a major limp.......but it was good to see them out and about.

And Im affraid Pete aint coming back...I think this time he's done for good. I wish he'd prove me wrong though.
Glad to hear about Otter and Chris.

Pete keeps in touch. I know he will do whatever makes him happiest!

What is there in Bywater nowadays? Should we all plan a gathering at The Country Club? I think that sounds like fun!