Patois

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Patois

Post by bam bam »

DC and I sat at the bar at Patois on Thursday night and had a multi-appetizer dinner. Real good stuff. I started with the vidalia onion, squash and basil soup. Although this is a hot soup, I thought it captured the flavors of summer real well. Good complexity and the soup has a nice consistency to it. While our bartender was pushing some cold watermelon and mint gazpacho on us, DC elected to have the same thing. She liked it but not as much as I did. Next came the crawfish gnocchi. We split this. I loved the gnocchi was not wild about the sauce which was roux based with english peas and sweet corn. The peas added nothing to dish except for color. DC thought this was excellent.

Next up was the heirloom lettuce salad. Again we split this. Very good, very fresh baby lettuces, an excellent farmer's cheese. Really a perfect salad. We finished up with the moules et frites. I have had these on a previous visit and I would say this is the best mussels dish in the city, including Crepe Nanou and Clementine's.

Overall, a great night and a great meal. I know it is hard to get a reservation but eating at the bar is a much superior option than having smoke blown all over your food at the Delachaise. Highly recommended, a bam bam top ten restaurant.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Now that Chef Chris is gone, I have no reason to ever go to the Delechaise again.

I can't believe I haven't been to Patois yet. I have to get there soon. I usually dine at the bar since I usually fly solo. Glad to know it's a good option. I'll just have to remember it.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

As soon as I get a chance to go upstairs on the other compter, I will give my report as well. I hate typing on this laptop.
Yvette
EatinAintCheatin

Re: Patois

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Thanks for the report. It's been on my list too but I just don't seem to make it there. I want to try their mussels. I've had the mussels at Le Crepe Nanou, Rio Mar and Sandro's and I have to say, I'd put Sandro's right up there.
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I went for brunch weekend before last. The crawfish Gnocchi app was on that menu. I thought it was really good. The Grillades and Grits were also pretty good. I need to go back for dinner.

I also agree about eating at the bar if they let me.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

We went last week. The table started off with Charcuterie. It was okay, not great. I thought the terrine was too "wet", and hogshead was tasteless.

Next, salad. OMG, this was incredible. Heirloom tomato, grape tomato, baby arugula, watermelon, goat cheese topped with mint-dandilion vinegatette. A real winner. For entree, I had free range chicken with wilted escarole. I thought it was very good. The others in our group got the rabbit, hanger steak and smoked pork chop. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

I knew two other tables in there. One told me that they only get the appetizers for dinner because he thought they were better than the entree's.

The other group loves the restaurant and goes there often.

Another foodie person I know does not like the restaurant at all, thought the prices were too high for what you got. That was their opinion.

It was a very happening place....I liked the feel of it. I will definately go back
Yvette